1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant differentiation twice

1. Jul 9, 2014 #1
    Doing some problems in D'INVERNO GR textbook and I am stuck on taking the covariant derivation of a tensor twice. Please see the attached picture and please do inform me if something is not clear :smile:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2014 #2
    Hello.
    Where do e comes from??

Take ##A^i=B^i_jC^j##.
    j is a dummy index, there is a summation over j.
    i can be 1, 2 or 3. This equation tells that the equality is true for all three values of i.
    ##A^k=B^k_jC^j## is exactly the same as ##A^i=B^i_jC^j##, you must not keep track of indices from one equation to another.

4. Jul 11, 2014 #3
    Heya bloby,

For e, I just chose a new tensor to represent the covariant derivative of the original tensor. Then what should I have named it? T[itex]^{a}_{b}[/itex] ?

Thanks

5. Jul 11, 2014 #4
    Rather ##T^a_d## the same indices than LHS. The indices are related to basis element. They must be consistent within an equation, like ##v^i=\frac{dx^i}{dt}##, not ##v^i=\frac{dx^j}{dt}##. The 3rd and 4th line of the thumbnail are the same(after corrections) with renamed indices .

6. Jul 11, 2014 #5
    Much Appreciated bloby :smile:

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted