How does the covariant exterior derivative generalize to vector bundles?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion and difficulty in understanding the concept of a covariant exterior derivative defined in chapter 5 of the book "Bishop and Crittenden." The derivative is defined for forms living in a principle bundle P, but the question arises whether it can be generalized to vector bundles. The relationship between a "covariant exterior derivative" and a covariant derivative on the manifold is also unclear and the books consulted for clarification have not been helpful. The post also mentions the definition of the covariant exterior derivative on P and its relationship with the manifold M. The main goal is to understand the relationship between the two derivatives and whether M is an embedded submanifold of P.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, I have some more questions about this stuff, which, as always, confuses me. I am (extremely slowly) working through Biship and Crittenden, and I'm pretty much at the point where I don't think I can understand it much at all, so, I think instead of trying to go through it all not knowing where the pay off is, I think I'll just ask my questions here (read: I've given up...lol). In the book, they define the covariant exterior derivative D (in chapter 5), but only for (as far as I can tell) forms living in a principle bundle P. From D, they obtain the curvature form from the covariant exterior derivative of the connection 1-form which also lives on P. As a physicist, I am more interested in vector bundles than principle bundles. Does this generalize trivially to the case of a vector bundle? I know that the construction of a vertical subspace, and a horizontal distribution works in the case of a vector bundle as well, correct? Even though Bishop and Crittenden seem to only ever give the definition of a connection on a vector bundle as the induced connection from an associated principle bundle...Another question is I'm used to forms on the manifold itself (existing therefore in T*M), and not forms on the bundle P (which, I assume would exist on T*P). Unless I'm just getting some terminology confused here? When people say "w is a one form on P", they mean that it lives in T*P right? They definitely don't mean that it literally lives on P right? My brain hurts...T_T

(Help!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, knowing definitely the relationship between a "covariant exterior derivative" and simply a covariant derivative on my manifold would be my main goal in this (MTW is not very mathematically rigorous when it comes to this, and I find I cannot understand very well either Bishop and Crittenden or Cartan's books on this matter).

I realized my post is probably way too vague to get an answer. The book defines the covariant exterior derivative in a very similar fashion to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covariant_exterior_derivative

But the deal is that it's a derivative of a form on P (the bundle space) and not M (the manifold space).

Do you get the derivatives on M simply by inducement? Is it true that M is an embedded submanifold of P? If it is, it seems that it could work.

1. What is the definition of the covariant exterior derivative?

The covariant exterior derivative is a mathematical operator used in differential geometry and mathematical physics to calculate the change of a vector field or a differential form under a given transformation.

2. How is the covariant exterior derivative different from the ordinary exterior derivative?

The covariant exterior derivative takes into account the curvature of the underlying space, while the ordinary exterior derivative does not. This means that the covariant exterior derivative is used in curved spaces, while the ordinary exterior derivative is used in flat spaces.

3. What are some applications of the covariant exterior derivative?

The covariant exterior derivative is used in various fields such as general relativity, differential geometry, and mathematical physics. It is used to study curvature and gauge theories, and plays a crucial role in the development of the theory of connections on fiber bundles.

4. How is the covariant exterior derivative related to the Lie derivative?

The covariant exterior derivative and the Lie derivative are closely related, but they operate on different types of objects. The covariant exterior derivative operates on differential forms, while the Lie derivative operates on vector fields. In certain cases, the covariant exterior derivative can be expressed in terms of the Lie derivative.

5. Are there any alternative names for the covariant exterior derivative?

Yes, the covariant exterior derivative is also known as the covariant derivative, exterior covariant derivative, exterior covariant derivative operator, and Cartan's derivative.