Covariogram estimation for the process contaminated with linear trend

In summary: Therefore, lim n -> ∞ (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒Y(t)^2 = σ_s^2 + (k^2 * n^2)/12 with probability 1. This is equivalent with the statement that lim n -> ∞ (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒R(h) = R_s(h) + (k^2 * n^2)/12 with probability 1. In summary, the estimate of R(h) converges in probability to the estimate of R_s(h) + (k^2 * n^2)/12.
New_Galatea
Let {S(t), t=1,2,...} be a zero-mean, unit variance, second-order stationary process in R^1,
and define Y(t)=S(t)+k(t-(n+1)/2), t=1,2,...,n.
Then the process Y(t) is not second-order stationary process since it is contaminated with linear trend, k – degree of contamination.

Define R(h) – covariogram for Y(t) process and
Define Rs(h) - covariogram for S(t) process.

Could you help me to show that estimate of R(h) converges in probability to estimate of Rs(h) + ((k^2) * (n^2))/12

Thank in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!Solution: We can prove the result by using the law of large numbers. Let Y_1, Y_2, ..., Y_n be a sequence of independent and identically distributed random variables with finite mean μ and variance σ^2. By the law of large numbers, lim n -> ∞ (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒Y_i = μ and lim n -> ∞ (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒Y_i^2 = σ^2 with probability 1. For the process Y(t), we have Y(t) = S(t) + k(t-(n+1)/2) so (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒Y(t) = (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒S(t) + k * (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒(t-(n+1)/2) The first term on the right-hand side converges to the mean of S(t), μ_s, with probability 1. The second term on the right-hand side converges to 0 since the summand is a constant, k. Therefore, lim n -> ∞ (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒Y(t) = μ_s with probability 1. Similarly, for the squared values, (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒Y(t)^2 = (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒S(t)^2 + k^2 * (1/n) * ∑_(i=1)^n▒(t-(n+1)/2)^2 The first term on the right-hand side converges to the variance of S(t), σ_s^2, with probability 1. The second term on the right-hand side

1. What is a covariogram and why is it important in studying processes contaminated with linear trend?

A covariogram is a measure of spatial autocorrelation that quantifies the relationship between observations at different locations. It is important in studying processes contaminated with linear trend because it allows us to identify and analyze patterns of spatial dependence, which can be affected by the presence of a linear trend.

2. How is the covariogram estimated for a process contaminated with linear trend?

The covariogram can be estimated by calculating the average value of the product of the differences between observations at pairs of locations. This can be done using various methods such as the Empirical Covariogram, the Variogram, or the Correlogram.

3. Can a linear trend be removed from the data before estimating the covariogram?

Yes, a linear trend can be removed from the data before estimating the covariogram. This can be done using various detrending methods such as polynomial detrending, moving average detrending, or regression detrending.

4. How does the presence of a linear trend affect the estimation of the covariogram?

The presence of a linear trend can affect the estimation of the covariogram in two ways. Firstly, it can mask or obscure any underlying spatial autocorrelation patterns in the data. Secondly, it can introduce additional spatial dependence, leading to biased estimates of the covariogram.

5. How can the results of covariogram estimation for a process contaminated with linear trend be interpreted?

The results of covariogram estimation for a process contaminated with linear trend can be interpreted by examining the shape and magnitude of the estimated covariogram. A linear trend may be indicated by a linearly increasing or decreasing covariogram, while a constant covariogram suggests no trend. Additionally, the magnitude of the covariogram can indicate the strength of spatial dependence in the data.