Explaining Your Motivation for Applying to a Temporary Staff Assistant Position

In summary, the individual has a degree in mechanical engineering and has worked in engineering jobs since graduating in 2007, with their most recent job being as a software developer. They were recently laid off and are starting grad school in fall 2017. They are considering applying for a staff assistant position at their grad school, which is a 10-month position dependent on funding. They are seeking advice on how to explain in their cover letter why they are applying for the job, as they believe it will be a perfect fit as it will end in time for them to start school full time. They are unsure if being honest about this in their cover letter will hurt their chances of getting the job.
respect_the_S
I have a degree in mechanical engineering and have taken several computer science courses, so my resume since graduating in 2007 consists of engineering jobs along with my most recent software developer job, which I was laid off from a few months ago. I'm starting grad school next fall (2017). There is a job posting at the same school for a staff assistant for enrollment. It's clearly stated as a 10 month position that is on a year to year basis dependent on funding.

My question is how to explain in a cover letter as to why I'm seeking the position. To be completely honest, it's a perfect fit because when it ends next spring/summer will be just in time for me to start school full time in the fall. I'm not sure if it would hurt me to be that honest, but if I blow smoke and say I'm genuinely interested in being a staff assistant, they're going to look at my resume and think 'that doesn't make sense, why the hell is he applying for this'. Any advice? Maybe I'm over thinking it?

Physics news on Phys.org
respect_the_S said:
I have a degree in mechanical engineering and have taken several computer science courses, so my resume since graduating in 2007 consists of engineering jobs along with my most recent software developer job, which I was laid off from a few months ago. I'm starting grad school next fall (2017). There is a job posting at the same school for a staff assistant for enrollment. It's clearly stated as a 10 month position that is on a year to year basis dependent on funding.

My question is how to explain in a cover letter as to why I'm seeking the position. To be completely honest, it's a perfect fit because when it ends next spring/summer will be just in time for me to start school full time in the fall. I'm not sure if it would hurt me to be that honest, but if I blow smoke and say I'm genuinely interested in being a staff assistant, they're going to look at my resume and think 'that doesn't make sense, why the hell is he applying for this'. Any advice? Maybe I'm over thinking it?
I think it's fine to tell them that. It makes it clearer why you are applying for that particular job.

What is a cover letter for a temp job?

A cover letter for a temp job is a document that accompanies your resume and provides additional information about your skills and experiences relevant to the temporary position you are applying for. It is usually submitted along with your resume to introduce yourself to the employer and explain why you are interested in the job.

Why do I need a cover letter for a temp job?

A cover letter for a temp job is important because it allows you to highlight your qualifications and explain why you are a good fit for the position. It also gives you the opportunity to address any potential gaps in your resume and showcase your personality and enthusiasm for the job.

What should I include in a cover letter for a temp job?

In your cover letter for a temp job, you should include a brief introduction about yourself, highlight your relevant skills and experiences, explain why you are interested in the job, and provide any additional information that may make you stand out as a candidate. You should also tailor your cover letter to the specific job and company you are applying to.

How long should a cover letter for a temp job be?

A cover letter for a temp job should be concise and to the point, ideally no more than one page in length. It should be long enough to effectively convey your qualifications and interest in the job, but not so long that it becomes overwhelming for the employer to read.

Do I need to customize my cover letter for each temp job I apply to?

Yes, it is important to customize your cover letter for each temp job you apply to. This shows the employer that you have taken the time to understand the job and company and are genuinely interested in the position. It also allows you to highlight the specific skills and experiences that make you a strong candidate for that particular job.