1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coverage of Calculus

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I would like to know what high school Calculus AB covers and what Calculus CD covers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    No such thing as "Calculus CD". If by Calculus AB you mean AP Calculus AB, a simple google search will yield you what it covers and more.

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    Right. There is Calculus AB and Calculus BC.

From what I recall from a few years ago:

AB covers from Limits, Derivatives, Optimization, Newton's Method, Linearization, Related Rates, Integration + By parts, Volumes of Rotated Shapes, some Differential Equations

BC covers that plus Infinite Series, Polar Coordinates, Spherical Coordinates, some Vectors perhaps. I'm sure there's more

Let's get mathy: AB is a subset of BC. BC is a superset of AB.... if I were you just get it over with and study all of BC

5. Aug 24, 2010 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Aug 24, 2010 #5
    Calculus BC covers all of single variable calculus while Calculus AB only covers the first part of single variable Calculus.

7. Aug 25, 2010 #6
    actually my high school did have a calculus CD along with AP calculus AB and BC
    CD was just multivariable calculus at my school, my calculus teacher started it for those who didnt want to stop at the BC level, but it wasnt an AP class and it usually only had like 3-5 kids in it every year haha

8. Aug 25, 2010 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

I forgot where I read this (maybe here?), but the letters AB or BC refer to the following:

A topics refer to concepts in Precalculus
    B topics refer to differential and integral calculus
    C topics include sequences & series, an intro to differential equations, and some analytic geometry (polar coordinates, parametric equations, vectors)
    D topics would have covered multivariable calculus. (Of course there is no "D", but it was conjectured that "D" would have been used if AP were to include multivariable calculus topics. Some high schools would offer a multivariable calculus course and call it "AP Calculus CD" or "AP Calculus D," like miglo's school.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook