1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covering space action

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am having trouble with this problem from Hatcher:

24. Given a covering space action of a group G on a path-connected, locally path-connected space X, then each subgroup H in G determines a composition of covering spaces X -> X/H -> G. Show:

a. Every path-connected covering space between X and X/G is isomorphic to X/H for some subgroup H in G

(The best I can do here is say that since we have a covering space action then pi_1(X/H1) = pi_1(X/H2); not sure how to proceed.)

b. Two such covering spaces X/H1 and H/H2 of X/G are isomorphic iff H1 and H2 are conjugate subgroups of G.

c. The covering space X/H -> X/G is normal iff H is a normal subgroup of G, in which case the group of deck transformations of this cover is G/H.

Any ideas? The two preceding propositions look tantalisingly close to what I need but I can't massage the problem to accommodate them.

2. Relevant equations

Page 71-3 in this pdf http://www.math.cornell.edu/~hatcher/AT/ATch1.pdf)

3. The attempt at a solution

See above

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?