1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covering spaces of S1 V S1

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all 3-fold covering spaces of S1 V S1 (the one-point union, or wedge sum, of two copies of the circle, S1).

2. Relevant equations

There is, as a hint, diagrams of the 3-fold covering spaces of the circle itself.

3. The attempt at a solution

Call the wedge sum W.

One 3-fold covering space is W X {1, 2, 3}. This is just the space consisting of 3 disjoint copies of W. But this was pretty easy.

I do not know how to construct the other covering spaces. Is there a way to use the covering spaces of the circle to construct covering spaces of W? Or at least a way to think about the covering space of the circle that could give me some insight? So far, I've only managed to stare at my sheet in a dazed fashion (other than the one covering space I did think of).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2
    I have six diagrams so far. Anybody know off-hand how many 3-fold covers of S1 V S1 there are or how one might determine how many there are?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook