Coversation starters awkward silence

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about dealing with awkward silences when talking to a girl. Various suggestions are given, such as complimenting her, asking open-ended questions, or using Altoids as a conversation starter. Some individuals admit to still experiencing awkward silences, while others share their strategies for avoiding them.
photon
Ever been in that sort of situation with say, a girl, and you just can't think of anything funny to say? awkward silence... Anyone? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The dreaded awkward silence.

I think we've all experienced that at some point, well except maybe tribdog. :wink:

Any suggestions? tribdog? Jimmy? Anyone?

Here's the situation: She comes to stand next to me. (cuz I'm so witty and good looking) "hey," she says. "Hi," I reply. I make some joke about the weather or something. She laughs. I can't think of anything to say. She looks down at her shoes. My mouth opens but I can't say anything. What the heck do I say next?

What about...Wow, those are some pretty big feet you got there.

If that doesn't break the silence I don't know what will. :rofl: :rofl:

Good one, dduardo!

lol..big feet.
If I can't think of anything to say I usually say "Damn, I can't think of anything to say." Then I run away screaming and falling down a lot.
Actually that's not a bad thing to say. Tell her your mind short circuits every time she stands next to you. Then just start talking. Quit trying to find the "perfect" thing to say. Most people aren't as gifted as I am so they can't (and aren't expected to) be hilarious all the time. ask her how her day's going. put the burden on her.
Sounds like she's just as nervous as you, perhaps she likes you too. That makes it easier.

Last edited:
Ask a simple open question that gives her the opportunity to reply at length... or not.
Don't say something that only let's her answer 'yes' or 'no'. Eg - Where you surprised by the election result? Do you think of a photon as a particle or as a wave etc...

Lol Tribdog. Run away screaming, that's a good move.

I like a Adrian's approach. but what if I can't think of anything to say that gives her the opportunity to reply at length? What are some witty things to say?

tribdog said:
lol..big feet.
If I can't think of anything to say I usually say "Damn, I can't think of anything to say." Then I run away screaming and falling down a lot.
Actually that's not a bad thing to say. Tell her your mind short circuits every time she stands next to you. Then just start talking. Quit trying to find the "perfect" thing to say. Most people aren't as gifted as I am so they can't (and aren't expected to) be hilarious all the time. ask her how her day's going. put the burden on her.
Sounds like she's just as nervous as you, perhaps she likes you too. That makes it easier.
That's excellent advice. You amaze me tribdog. :approve:

lol, I know. I amaze myself sometimes too. I'm a romantic, this stuff is what I'm best at.

Adrian Baker said:
Ask a [complex] question that gives her the opportunity to reply at length

For example:

What are your feelings on the ramifications of quantum mechanics in terms of our social-ecomonic well being in the next century.

Then when she says: What?

You reply: That's exactly what I was thinking. Wow, we really do think alike.

Last edited:
Photon, if your mind goes blank, you can never go wrong complementing her about something, for example her shoes, clothes, hair. But as trib & Adrian said, ask her something that she'll have to answer in some detail. If you go to the same school, ask her about something that is going on, or about her classes. Uhm….

OMG, it's been so long since I dated I don't remember how to carry on a conversation anymore. :redface:

Put a tin of Altoids in your pocket and when she's near pop one in your mouth. Offer her one. Nobody says no to Altoids. then you have tons of opportunities for mentioning "kissably fresh breath"

dduardo said:
For example:

What are your feelings on the ramifications of quantum mechanics in terms of our social-ecomonic well being in the next century.

You reply: That's exactly what I was think. Wow, we really do think alike.
Haha... I'm so using that. :rofl:

Evo said:

I think we've all experienced that at some point

I'm still experiencing it with girls.

evo said:

I think we've all experienced that at some point
You mean it ends? I've been getting them for 10 years i thought it was just how you do it.

You reply: That's exactly what I was thinking. Wow, we really do think alike.

Wow, you are a genius. We should talk more.

tribdog said:
Put a tin of Altoids in your pocket and when she's near pop one in your mouth. Offer her one. Nobody says no to Altoids. then you have tons of opportunities for mentioning "kissably fresh breath"

Want an Altoid?

Chrono said:
I'm still experiencing it with girls.

i'm just starting to get over it; i think it's because I'm just older now (& maybe more mature too). i usually think of something beforehand & imagine what i'll be doing ~2 minutes in the future, so I'm psyched & i don't run out of things to say. usually it's a girl I've seen around before but never talked to, so i just ask how things have been going so far, or what they're up to, what they're doing there wherever they are, etc. maybe i'll try to find something unique about the girl, like if her hair is a bit different than other girls' (pigtails or braids instead of a ponytail, etc), or big hoop earrings, if she looks more dressed-up than everyone else, or whatever. they seem to go out of their way to be a bit different, but you've got to really mean it when you notice something & say it looks good.

fourier jr said:
i'm just starting to get over it; i think it's because I'm just older now (& maybe more mature too). i usually think of something beforehand & imagine what i'll be doing ~2 minutes in the future, so I'm psyched & i don't run out of things to say. usually it's a girl I've seen around before but never talked to, so i just ask how things have been going so far, or what they're up to, what they're doing there wherever they are, etc. maybe i'll try to find something unique about the girl, like if her hair is a bit different than other girls' (pigtails or braids instead of a ponytail, etc), or big hoop earrings, if she looks more dressed-up than everyone else, or whatever. they seem to go out of their way to be a bit different, but you've got to really mean it when you notice something & say it looks good.
No offense, but this is bad advice. You have to be careful handing out compliments to someone you don't know. It's easy to come across as either obssesed, desperate or just plain strange. Wait til you are actually trying to get in her pants before you start the compliments.
ps. this post was just to throw off anyone who was starting to think I was sensitive. I meant it though about being careful with premature compliments.

i didn't mean right away, as in 1st to say to her, but once you've talked a bit

You know, the conversation starter is important, but you got to do some work for her to actually stay and listen to what you have to say.

You know how hard that is?

Why does it have to be funny?

It doesn't, but funny is easier. and funny is sexy. and if you are already laughing when you get dissed there is less danger of breaking down into tears.

Chrono said:
You know, the conversation starter is important, but you got to do some work for her to actually stay and listen to what you have to say.

You know how hard that is?
Again I must play the contrarian. The conversation starter really isn't that important. Take me for example do you realize how often I start threads that are completely worthless. I started one the other day saying my bum itched. And people responded.
The important thing isn't the conversation starter. the important thing is starting a conversation. Don't worry too much about what to say or how to say it. If life gives you lemons you just bite the bullet and go for it.

tribdog said:
Take me for example do you realize how often I start threads that are completely worthless. I started one the other day saying my bum itched. And people responded.
Because people care about you, and/or are bored and will respond to anything. :wink:

Exactly!
and people everywhere care or are bored and will respond to anything. That's why I say the important thing isn't what you say, but that you say anything at all.

This always breaks the ice: let's shag! :wink:

My experience has been that people lo-o-ove to talk about themselves. (hey- me included!) If you want to get a conversation going, that's the best topic: the other person. What are their interests, what are their goals, where are they from, etc. If you can get the other person talking about him/herself, you don't have to do a thing.

Math Is Hard said:
My experience has been that people lo-o-ove to talk about themselves. (hey- me included!) If you want to get a conversation going, that's the best topic: the other person. What are their interests, what are their goals, where are they from, etc. If you can get the other person talking about him/herself, you don't have to do a thing.

Well, personally, if someone asks me to describe myself I always come up with a blank. But, as Dale Carnegie said, "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Lesson Two

OK, photon, you've read all the advice now, but I think it's time to move from theory to application.
Now, let's pretend I'm a young lady (I HEARD that, you guys - quit laughin'! :grumpy: ) at your school. You come up to me and say,
"Hey."
I say, "Hey." and then look down at my shoes. :shy:

Your move. What do you say? (Just throw something out there and we'll give you feedback.)

So, i haven't talked to you in a while...

ok, I think that's good, BUT there's almost an implication there, like maybe she should feel guilty because she hasn't been around or hasn't talked to you. (But I over read things). Also, you are using a statement vs. a question, which doesn't require conversational response. Maybe try something like, "Hey, I haven't seen you around. Classes keeping you busy? What are you taking right now?" note: Last sentence is interrogative requiring her to respond, so it can keep the conversation flowing.

Any others want to give feedback on this?

Last edited:
and she says, "Yeah, I usually see you coming and can duck behind a garbage can."

and she says, "Yeah, I usually see you coming and can duck behind a garbage can."
i hate you. :biggrin: (and i mean that in the best possible way.)

Math is Hard:
Okay, sounds good. I want to sound like I care. How can I make her laugh after this exchange? She thinks I'm a riot.