Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covolution Integration Limits Help

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    I am having a little problem finding the limits of integration to this conv. just for the sake of fulfilling my curiosity. Although it is stated in the textbook but I can not do the actual integration and get the same results!

[tex]f(x) := \begin{cases} 1 & if \ 0<x<1 \\ 0 & otherwise \end{cases}[/tex]

[tex]g(x) := \begin{cases} x & if \ 0 < x < 2 \\ o & otherwise \end{cases}[/tex]

the conv of the functions as in the book is

[tex](f*g)(x) = \int_{0<u<1 and 0 < x-u <2} f(u) g(x-u) du [/tex] with limits of

[tex]\int _{min[1,max(0,x-2)]}^{max(0,min(1,x))} (x-u) du[/tex] with also limits of

the correct answer is:

[tex]f*g = \frac{1}{2} \begin{cases} x^2 & if \ 0<x<1 \\ 2x-1 & if \ 1<x<2 \\ -x^2+2x+3 & if 2<x<3 \\ 0 & otherwise \end{cases}[/tex]

the textbook is A First course in Fourier Analysis https://www.amazon.com/First-Course-Fourier-Analysis-Kammler/dp/0135787823, Page 94

The help will be highly appreciated

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted