Can Cows Really Not Be Tipped?

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
In summary, the proposition is that it is possible to tip cows with force equal to the cosine of the angle between the cow's center of mass and the vertical.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the proposition.

dx said:
I don't understand the proposition.

Prove that the force is equal to [tex]\frac{mg\cos\theta b}{a + b}[/tex]

what force? Is this a joke or am i just not getting it.

Uhm... for one... that does not look like a cows center of mass...

Define what a and b are.

Kurdt said:
Define what a and b are.

Look at the picture I linked!

Wow, the thing that stands out for me is that they call this an actual study. They have Dr. Margo Lille from the zoology department and Tracy Boechler a student (I hope this wasn't her honours study). Surely it would have taken longer for them to type up Margo's quotes than it took her to come up with that equation.

Oh, was searching to see if she was a real person, found this.

Cows can be tipped: Just ask Calgarians.
http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/editorialsletters/story.html?id=cf76c41f-7f2f-4962-a258-3cb39e1ab450

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tip cows, but then I have access to one of these:
http://www.shanksvet.com/html/mainfs.cfm?p=bovine
:biggrin:

Maybe it's all about frame of reference...to the drunken kids trying it, the cow looks tipped?

By the way, what units are they using for the "length of lever" above and below the center of mass? The center of mass of a cow is not centered along their vertical height, and they might be about 1.5 m tall on a really big cow.

This site says it's possible as long as you have two people (and I suppose a willing cow...I'd suggest bringing ice and bandages along if you're going to try this...not too many cows are going to put up with it for long before kicking you in the head).
http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Matt-Semke/The%20Statics%20of%20Cow%20Tipping.htm

Of course, the center of mass of a cow is also going to depend on whether they have their head up or down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell I know people who have personally tipped cows... who is this "researcher" and why does she still have a job.

Pengwuino said:
Hell I know people who have personally tipped cows... who is this "researcher" and why does she still have a job.
:rofl: Perhaps it came to her while she was drunk and contemplating cow-tipping. It also is greatly facilitated if you can yank a leg or two out from under the cow too.

By the way, it's not recommended that anyone actually go out cow-tipping. It's bad for the cows. They can get hurt falling, and when they are lying flat out on their side, they have difficulty breathing (the large stomach presses up against their lungs). If you want to have some country fun with cows, paint a grid on the field and play cow chip bingo instead. :rofl:

What exactly is so exciting nad great about cow tipping anyways.

Pengwuino said:
What exactly is so exciting nad great about cow tipping anyways.
Nothing if you're sober, or when you live in a place with more entertaining things to keep teenagers busy.

a friend of my girlfriend broke his hand cowtipping/:rofl: He told everyone he fell.

1. Can cows really not be tipped?

No, cows cannot be tipped. This is a common myth and misconception about cows. Cows have a low center of gravity and are very heavy animals, making it nearly impossible for them to be physically tipped over.

2. Is cow tipping a real activity?

No, cow tipping is not a real activity. It is a popular urban legend that has been perpetuated through media and word of mouth. There is no evidence or record of anyone successfully tipping a cow.

3. What are the consequences of attempting to tip a cow?

Attempting to tip a cow can result in serious injuries for both the cow and the person attempting the tip. Cows are large animals and can become frightened and aggressive if someone tries to tip them. It is also considered animal cruelty and can result in legal consequences.

4. Why do people believe that cows can be tipped?

This belief likely stems from a lack of understanding of cow behavior and anatomy. Cows often sleep lying down, which can give the illusion that they are easily tipped. However, cows are not completely asleep when they lie down and can quickly regain their balance if disturbed.

5. Are there any other myths about cows that are not true?

Yes, there are many other myths and misconceptions about cows. Some examples include cows having four stomachs (they actually have one stomach with four compartments), cows producing milk without giving birth (they need to give birth to produce milk), and cows being dumb animals (they are actually intelligent and have good memory). It is important to fact-check and verify information about animals before believing it to be true.