Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cows Can't Be Tipped!

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I dont understand the proposition.

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    Prove that the force is equal to [tex]\frac{mg\cos\theta b}{a + b}[/tex]

5. Nov 13, 2005 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what force? Is this a joke or am i just not getting it.

6. Nov 13, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Uhm... for one... that does not look like a cows center of mass...

7. Nov 13, 2005 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Define what a and b are.

8. Nov 13, 2005 #7
    Look at the picture I linked!

9. Nov 13, 2005 #8
    Wow, the thing that stands out for me is that they call this an actual study. They have Dr. Margo Lille from the zoology department and Tracy Boechler a student (I hope this wasn't her honours study). Surely it would have taken longer for them to type up Margo's quotes than it took her to come up with that equation.

Oh, was searching to see if she was a real person, found this.

Cows can be tipped: Just ask Calgarians.
    http://www.canada.com/national/nati....html?id=cf76c41f-7f2f-4962-a258-3cb39e1ab450

10. Nov 13, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can tip cows, but then I have access to one of these:
    http://www.shanksvet.com/html/mainfs.cfm?p=bovine
    :biggrin:

Maybe it's all about frame of reference...to the drunken kids trying it, the cow looks tipped?

By the way, what units are they using for the "length of lever" above and below the center of mass? The center of mass of a cow is not centered along their vertical height, and they might be about 1.5 m tall on a really big cow.

This site says it's possible as long as you have two people (and I suppose a willing cow...I'd suggest bringing ice and bandages along if you're going to try this...not too many cows are going to put up with it for long before kicking you in the head).
    http://em-ntserver.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Matt-Semke/The Statics of Cow Tipping.htm

Of course, the center of mass of a cow is also going to depend on whether they have their head up or down.

11. Nov 13, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hell I know people who have personally tipped cows... who is this "researcher" and why does she still have a job.

12. Nov 13, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Perhaps it came to her while she was drunk and contemplating cow-tipping. It also is greatly facilitated if you can yank a leg or two out from under the cow too.

By the way, it's not recommended that anyone actually go out cow-tipping. It's bad for the cows. They can get hurt falling, and when they are lying flat out on their side, they have difficulty breathing (the large stomach presses up against their lungs). If you want to have some country fun with cows, paint a grid on the field and play cow chip bingo instead. :rofl:

13. Nov 13, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What exactly is so exciting nad great about cow tipping anyways.

14. Nov 13, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing if you're sober, or when you live in a place with more entertaining things to keep teenagers busy.

15. Nov 13, 2005 #14
    a friend of my girlfriend broke his hand cowtipping/:rofl: He told everyone he fell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?