Calculating Cp and Cv of Real Gases: A Guide for Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding Cp and Cv values for nitrogen and carbon dioxide in real gas situations. The equation used is Cv = Cv° - (2(∂B/∂T) + T(∂²B/∂T²)P), but the difficulty lies in solving the (2(∂B/∂T) + T(∂²B/∂T²)P) part of the equation, which is a 2nd order differential equation. The person is seeking guidance on how to solve this equation.
MWRY

Homework Statement

Hello there,

I was given a tasks to find Cp and Cv of nitrogen and carbon dioxide in real gas situation.

Homework Equations

From what i could find, the suitable equation would be:

Cv = Cv° - (2(∂B/∂T) + T(∂²B/∂T²)P

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I couldn't find a way to solve the

'(2(∂B/∂T) + T(∂²B/∂T²)P'

part of equation. Any guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MWRY said:
The problem is I couldn't find a way to solve the

'(2(∂B/∂T) + T(∂²B/∂T²)P'

part of equation. Any guidance will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

This is a differential equation of 2nd order. I myself don't know how to solve differential equation of 2nd order but you can use calculators to solve it.

What is the difference between Cp and Cv of a real gas?

The Cp and Cv of a real gas refer to the specific heat at constant pressure and constant volume, respectively. Cp and Cv are thermodynamic properties that measure the amount of heat required to change the temperature of a substance at a constant pressure or volume. The main difference between the two is that Cp takes into account the work done by the gas during expansion, while Cv does not.

How are Cp and Cv related?

There is a direct relationship between Cp and Cv for an ideal gas, where Cp = Cv + R, with R being the gas constant. However, for a real gas, Cp and Cv are not equal and their relationship depends on the gas's specific properties, such as molecular weight, temperature, and pressure.

Why do Cp and Cv change with temperature and pressure?

Cp and Cv are temperature and pressure dependent because they are thermodynamic properties that describe the behavior of a gas under different conditions. As the temperature and pressure of a gas change, so do its internal energy and heat capacity, resulting in varying values for Cp and Cv.

How are Cp and Cv measured?

Cp and Cv can be measured experimentally using calorimetry, where the heat added to or removed from a gas is measured and used to calculate its specific heat. Alternatively, the values for Cp and Cv can also be calculated using mathematical models based on the gas's properties and behavior.

Why do real gases have different values for Cp and Cv compared to ideal gases?

Ideal gases are theoretical and do not exist in the real world. Real gases, on the other hand, have intermolecular forces and occupy a certain volume, which affects their heat capacity. The deviations from ideal gas behavior result in different values for Cp and Cv in real gases compared to the theoretical values for ideal gases.