Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CP violation and Entropy

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Please help me with my confusion.
    My logic:
    1. CP violation causes direct T-violation
    2. T-violation breaks Kirchhoff's law of thermal radiation (imagine a rock in a thermal bath of T-violating particles, where absorption and emission rates are different). When I say "radiation", I don't mean photons, but any type of radiation.
    3. Such body in thermal equilibrium with environment will become hotter or colder than environment, depending on what is more probable - absorption or emission.
    4. !!!!????

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    Will the rock become hotter or colder than the environment? Wouldn't the rate of absorption of T-violating particles equal the emission of T-violating antiparticles?

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    No, because you are describing the CT symmetry, which is also violated.

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Transition probability in quantum physics depends on two factors. One factor is the probability amplitude, which is asymmetric for absorption/emission in T-violating processes. But the other factor which you might overlook is the phase-space factor; the transition to a larger phase space is more probable. It is this second factor which is responsible for the second law in thermodynamics, and the small T-violation in the first factor cannot significantly influence the dominating effect of the second factor.

6. Jul 29, 2015 #5
    Agreed, but still you will be able to create perpetuum mobile of the second kind, right?

7. Jul 29, 2015 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Perhaps only far small mesoscopic systems.

8. Jul 29, 2015 #7
    with respect to post #4

Is the partition of the phase space a direct result of the SM?

If I understand correctly the apparent structure of the SM gives it a specific phase space partitioning that sets egodic probabilities, but from what is that structure defined? Is its definition considered information?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook