Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CP violation?

1. Aug 20, 2010 #1
    Please teach me whether it is true or not,that the domination of particles vs antiparticles is caused by the CP violation in nature?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is still being researched on, i.e. it is an active research area. So no one can tell you if it is true or not. It is ONE possible explanation.

Zz.

4. Aug 20, 2010 #3
    I've heard CP violation used so much for this, that I had no idea there were other explanations. Can someone point the way to other possible explanations? I'm curious to read up on some.

5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Read this:

http://physics.aps.org/articles/v3/69

especially on the mentioning of the "Sakharov three conditions" for baryon asymmetry.

Zz.

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5
    I've heard of the Sakharov conditions before, but they require CP violation in order to be an explanation for the current dominance of particles over anti-particles.

Maybe I misunderstood your original comment or maybe I wasn't clear in my follow up, but is there a possible explanation for the abundance of particles vs antiparticles that doesn't require CP violation?

7. Aug 22, 2010 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One pure guess is that the universe started out (big bang) with an excess of matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook