Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CPU cooling fan

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    ever saw this one?

:rofl:
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2
    saint, that is for the dual core P4s coming out, but that was just a prototype, the coolers will not be that huge.

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, as a matter of fact, I bought one a couple of weeks ago as described in the Peltier Beer thread. That looks to be THIS hsf but with a big fairing and 2 fans instead of one. Notice the copper heat pipe peaking out from under the fairing.

I don't have it mounted on my PC, and I'm not sure if will - but it does a heckuva job cooling that peltier.

5. Oct 21, 2004 #4
    I dont think your going to have good luck with that if it doesn't dissapate more heat than the backside of that pelt dissapates, you might want to check it out.

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5

russ_watters

I've only done some pretty basic experimentation, but it does cool a heatsink on the cold side below freezing. I'll post some pics in that other thread this weekend.

7. Oct 22, 2004 #6
    what is the wattage on the pelt and the wattage dissapation per hour on that heatsink.fan combo?

8. Oct 23, 2004 #7

russ_watters

THIS is the peltier I'm using. I don't have a performance curve for it and I didn't measure the amperage it was drawing, but it was taking 11v from a 12v power supply - the power supply couldn't keep up. I'm guessing that it was drawing 7-8A, so about 80-90W. I tested it with the cold side hsf fan both on and off. With it off (and therefore ony sucking a few watts in) it was below freezing, though I'm not sure how much because my thermocouple quit at freezing. All the fins frosted over though. So figure in that condition, the big hsf was dissipating 100W or so. And the hot side of the peltier only got up to about 125F, so dissipating 100W wasn't a problem for that hsf. I'll see if I can get some better numbers (maybe tomorrow)

9. Oct 23, 2004 #8
    that sounds like you are going to have a happy happy processor.
    I may also look into one of thos pelts.
    you will need an extra PSU or a bigger PSU to operate that pelt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?