CPU question

• Thread starter jforce93
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I'm confused about something. Why is it that in magazines and videos it seems as though adding more transistors to a CPU will make it faster? Is it a numbers thing (like, instead of marking amps on signs, they show volts)? I mean, I understand that you can do multithreading, multiple cores etc. but from the assembly (z80 and PowerPC) I've done, it seems as though using a CPU is mainly just moving around memory from register to register. My physics teacher (a former electrical engineer) showed me the register structure in a simple CPU, and it seemed to only require a few transistors for each register. So, a few thousand transistors on a 64-bit chip seems reasonable, but billions?

Thanks,

Jordan

Answers and Replies

floating point operations, cache memory

Oh, that makes sense.

To design a CPU that is "General", which is designed to be very flexible and do alot of stuff,
needs alot of logic, memories, cashes like Xitami said and then the transistor number will increase very rapidly. But in general if you want to make it faster it will cost you in hardware to be able to do everything you want in less number of clock cycles.

Yeah. I'm designing an 8-bit (I'm a junior in High School btw), that I eventually want to convert the design of to run with water. Maybe I could run Linux on the water one lol jk.

It's for educational purposes. I want it to be involved in my senior project or internship in some way.

run with water?

I recomend to start without an operating system at all, it uses virtual address and stuff, if you don't run uLinux.

Do you already have an instruction set you should implement?
Is the instructions decoded in a micro memory or is it pipelined?

Hi,
So, a few thousand transistors on a 64-bit chip seems reasonable, but billions?
The major concept behind all the other transistors (cache, control logic) is to allow the small arithmetic logic to execute without waiting.