Why Humans Hate Crabs: Uncovering the Mystery

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, the zodiacal sign for cancer is a crab. The disease was first called cancer by Greek physician Hippocrates (460-370 BC). He is considered the “Father of Medicine.” Hippocrates used the terms carcinos and carcinoma to describe non-ulcer forming and ulcer-forming tumors.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
God loves crabs so much, he is trying to make everything into crabs.

So what is it about crabs that humans hate?

The term for "convergent evolution to a crab-like form" is carcinization.
Which as the same root as carcinogen - meaning cancer.

The zodiacal symbol for the cancer sign is a crab.

Coinky-dink? Clearly, humans have got it in for crabs.

• Haha
Likes Drakkith and Jarvis323
Science news on Phys.org
Origin of the word cancer

The disease was first called cancer by Greek physician Hippocrates (460-370 BC). He is considered the “Father of Medicine.” Hippocrates used the terms carcinos and carcinoma to describe non-ulcer forming and ulcer-forming tumors. In Greek this means a crab. The description was names after the crab because the finger-like spreading projections from a cancer called to mind the shape of a crab.

• Informative
Likes rsk, sysprog and DaveC426913
Once I was eating in a restaurant in Germany, and one of the items on the menu was Flusskrebs, which literally translated means river crabs, and is basically what we in America call crayfish. However, the menu also had the English translation - river cancer. Needless to say, I ordered something else.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes jtbell, AndreasC, Drakkith and 5 others
Mmmm. Gonna get me a second helping o' River Cancer.

First, I think some comments may be off base.
The greek word for crab is not cancer, it is: Κάβουρας anglicized it is "kavouras"
The latin word, cancer, is the origin of modern root word cancer, carcinXX, and so on.

What triggered this thread -xkcd?

https://xkcd.com/2418/

jim mcnamara said:
Ish.

It's always "troubled" me that the zodiacal sign is called cancer.
I recently read the article about carcinization.
Now, XKCD has picked up on it.
It's become sort of a timely topic.

This paper is a review paper on the subject, which was topical for several years prior to 1997

Carcinization in the Anomura-fact or fiction? I. Evidence from adult morphology
PA McLaughlin, R Lemaitre - Contributions to Zoology, 1997 - brill.com

So it is not like this is new front page science, AFAIK. o_O

Anomura the "sister" group to true crabs, Brachyura
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomura example: hermit crab is not a true crab in spite of its name.

jim mcnamara said:
latin
cancer (n.)
Old English cancer "spreading sore, malignant tumor" (also canceradl), from Latin cancer "a crab," later, "malignant tumor," from Greek karkinos, which, like the Modern English word, has three meanings: a crab, a tumor, and the zodiac constellation represented by a crab, from PIE [Proto-Indo-European] *karkro-, reduplicated form of root *kar- "hard."

Greek physicians Hippocrates and Galen, among others, noted similarity of crabs to some tumors with swollen veins. The Old English word was displaced by French-influenced doublet canker but was reintroduced in the modern medical sense c. 1600. In reference to the zodiac sign from late Old English; meaning "person born under the zodiac sign of Cancer" is from 1894. The sun being in Cancer at the summer solstice, the constellation had association in Latin writers with the south and with summer heat. Cancer stick "cigarette" is from 1959.
ONLINE ETYMOLOGY DICTIONARY

Likes jim mcnamara
An old word for cancer in Swedish is indeed just the Swedish word for crayfish ("Kräfta").
"Old" in this context doesn't mean hundreds of years ago; my grandmother used that word and I am pretty sure it was relatively common at least until the 1970s
(the modern word for cancer in Swedish is just "cancer")

I'm pretty sure the the words for crayfish is still commonly used for cancer in Danish and Norwegian (can anyone confirm?).,

jim mcnamara said:
The greek word for crab is not cancer, it is: Κάβουρας anglicized it is "kavouras"
The latin word, cancer, is the origin of modern root word cancer, carcinXX, and so on.

This is kinda wrong, kinda right. Yes, the modern Greek word for crab is κάβουρας, but the classical Greek word is καρκίνος (carkinos) which is what Hippocrates called the disease, and what the disease is called in Greece now, and the Latin word probably has the same root. When someone says "carcinogenic" or "carcinoma", that comes from the Greek word. So you are right that it isn't a Greek word but it is the Latin translation of the Greek term, and the Greek term wasn't kavouras back then, but karkinos (or carkinos or carcinos or whatever the latinization is supposed to be).

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and Keith_McClary
The casual layman doesn't often see the sarcomas that lead to the name because those are usually very late stage and in Western medicine the tumor or limb is removed long before then. But I've seen films from Central America where a doctor was trying to validate a cancer study and he was not pleased. He said everybody used as a test subject was way too far along to prove or disprove anything, but I'll never forget the sarcoma on this poor woman's bicep. It looked exactly like a green shore crab, sans claws, was emerging from her flesh.

So this is similar to, but not the same as, reporting bias.

BigDon said:
It looked exactly like a green shore crab, sans claws, was emerging from her flesh.
Considering we're talking about how cancer looks like crabs, I am obliged to ask:

Do you mean sans all claws, or just sans the pincers?

I had this image in my head from an earlier post that a cancer lesion looks like a crab - spider-like appendages and all.

No pincers, and only four legs, arcing from the corners.

jim mcnamara said:

Or perhaps Scenes From a Multiverse. Re: Crab City.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. I'll refrain from peddling and spamming in the future, ;/

1. Why do humans hate crabs?

There are a few reasons why some humans may dislike crabs. One reason is that they may have had a negative experience with crabs, such as being pinched by one. Another reason is that some people find the appearance of crabs to be unappealing. Additionally, cultural and societal beliefs or traditions may also play a role in humans' dislike of crabs.

2. Is there a scientific reason for humans' dislike of crabs?

There is no specific scientific reason for humans' dislike of crabs. However, some studies suggest that humans have an innate fear of creatures with multiple legs, which may contribute to their dislike of crabs.

3. Are there any health concerns associated with eating crabs?

Generally, crabs are considered safe to eat and are a good source of protein. However, like any seafood, they may contain high levels of mercury, so it is important to consume them in moderation. Additionally, some people may have allergies to shellfish, including crabs, which can lead to adverse reactions.

4. Are there any benefits to eating crabs?

Crabs are a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals, including selenium and omega-3 fatty acids. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a healthy addition to a balanced diet. Furthermore, some studies suggest that consuming crabs may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.

5. Can humans and crabs coexist peacefully?

Yes, humans and crabs can coexist peacefully. While some humans may dislike crabs, they are an important part of the ecosystem and play a vital role in maintaining balance in marine environments. With proper education and understanding, humans can learn to appreciate and respect these creatures and their habitats.