What is the Tension in the Horizontal Cable Supporting a Crane?

In summary, the problem involves a 25-ft. crane with a 250 lb. load suspended from the outer end and supported by a pin at the lower end. The center of gravity of the crane is 10 ft. from the pin and the crane weighs 200 lbs. The tension in the horizontal cable can be determined by summing torques about the lower pivot and considering the weight forces acting through their center of mass and the tension forces acting along the longitudinal axis of the cable. This will result in a system in equilibrium with no acceleration, thus eliminating the first two relevant equations. The final equation to determine the tension is t = Fdsin(theta).
jrrodri7
crane static problem...

Homework Statement

A 25-ft. crane supported at its lower end by a pin is elevated by a horizontal cable. A 250 lb. load is suspended from the outer end of the crane. The center of gravity of the crane is 10 ft. from the pin, and the crane weighs 200 lbs. What is the Tension in the horizontal cable?

Homework Equations

t = I (alpha)
F = ma
Sums of F = 0
Sums of t = 0
r x F = t
Magnitude of t = Fdsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, I tried doing a basic way of doing the load force mechanics but i realized it's not only that there's something with torque and the load proportion I don't know about.

Attachments

• newtorque problems.bmp
    246.1 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org

For a system in equilibrium, there is no acceleration, so scratch out your first 2 relevant equations. Try summing torques about the lower pivot, and note also that the weight forces act through their center of mass, and that tension forces act along the longitudinal axis of the cable (horizontally in this case). You must show some work before we can be of further assistance.

I would approach this problem by first drawing a free body diagram of the crane. This will help to identify all the forces acting on the crane, including the tension in the horizontal cable. From the given information, we know that there are three forces acting on the crane: the weight of the crane, the weight of the load, and the tension in the cable.

Next, I would apply the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces and torques acting on a body must equal zero for the body to be in static equilibrium. This means that the sum of the forces in the vertical direction must equal zero, and the sum of the torques about any point must also equal zero.

In this problem, we can choose the pin as the point about which we calculate the torques. Since the crane is in static equilibrium, the sum of the torques about the pin must be equal to zero. This can be expressed as:

Tsin(theta) x 25ft - 200lbs x 10ft = 0

Where T is the tension in the horizontal cable and theta is the angle between the cable and the horizontal.

Solving for T, we get:

T = 200lbs x 10ft/25ftsin(theta) = 80lbs/cos(theta)

Therefore, the tension in the horizontal cable is dependent on the angle between the cable and the horizontal. If the cable is parallel to the ground (theta = 0), the tension would be 200lbs. If the cable is at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal (theta = 45 degrees), the tension would be approximately 113lbs.

In summary, the tension in the horizontal cable can be calculated using the principle of equilibrium and the known distances and weights in the problem. The angle of the cable with respect to the horizontal will affect the magnitude of the tension.

1. What is a crane static problem?

A crane static problem refers to a situation where a crane is not able to lift or move a load due to the distribution of forces being unbalanced or the crane being overloaded.

2. How do crane operators detect a static problem?

Crane operators can detect a static problem by observing the crane's movements and any unusual sounds or vibrations. They can also use load indicators and sensors to monitor the weight and forces being applied on the crane.

3. What are the common causes of crane static problems?

The most common causes of crane static problems include overloading the crane, an unbalanced distribution of weight on the crane, mechanical failures, and human error.

4. How can crane static problems be prevented?

To prevent crane static problems, regular maintenance and inspections should be performed on the crane to ensure it is in good working condition. Proper training and supervision of crane operators can also help prevent static problems from occurring.

5. What should be done if a crane static problem occurs?

If a crane static problem occurs, the crane operator should immediately stop all movements and lower the load to the ground. The crane should then be inspected for any potential issues and repairs should be made if necessary before resuming operation.