Cranial Size and Intelligence Link

In summary, the conversation revolves around the correlation between cranial size and intelligence. Some individuals argue that there is a clear link between the two, citing numerous studies published in mainstream journals. Others question the validity of this correlation, pointing out that the correlation coefficients found in these studies are not strong enough to support a direct relationship. There is also a discussion about other factors that may influence this correlation, such as income and general quality of life. However, there is no clear consensus on the matter and the conversation ends with a request for further explanation.
Mandrake said:
Your answer is apparently a resounding YES.
Nope. Never said that. I said, with regards to lethality, a widespread product cannot take such a high risk. 1% of consumer dying would be far above acceptable level for instance. However, 1% of likelihood for a scientific result, does that look acceptable to you ?

Biology news on Phys.org
Mandrake said:
If you can produce a scatter diagram with the data, you can determine a correlation coefficient. I am not claiming anything about the licensing prodedures of the FDA. The simple question is whether a drug would be licensed if it had that kind of correlation. I asked a similar question with respect to whether or not readers here would undergo elective surgery, if they believed that the correlation between that operation and severe impairment could be represented by a correlation coefficient of .2.

My point is you can't produce a scatter diagram with the type of data you suggested. Instead, you'd have something along the lines of drug vs placebo or new drug vs currently approved drug, and for each, you'd have incidence of reported side effect as your dependent variable. So you're just creating an argument with no validity because it doesn't fit with the way real data are collected or analyzed. If you're thinking of this differently than that, please demonstrate the type of data you're envisioning would be collected for such an analysis...feel free to make up a fictitious data set if it helps illustrate the point.

Moonbear said:
My point is you can't produce a scatter diagram with the type of data you suggested.
Yes, I agree. I understand your point. Correlations relate variables. I picked poor examples, since I was suggesting a binary outcome, such as survival or death. In order for a correlation to be used with respect to a drug or a medical procedure, there must be two variables. In the context of my comments, one of the variables would have to be an outcome. When the outcome is a parameter that is measured over a range, it is unlikely that a life and death situation exists. I presume outcomes that would apply to these categories may be things such as vision acuity, lung capacity, blood pressure, IQ, hearing acuity, physical strength, etc. All of these are measurable over a range.