Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crank and slider linear force

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I have a question regarding a simple crank and slider mechanism, but I'm not a mathematician. This means that long formulas scare me... (: I've been searching around and haven't found anything I can really understand.

I'm trying to get a "ball park" formula to calculate the amount of force I'll need to push plate B at a given angle between the two plates in order for them to fold. I suppose that when the angle is 180 deg., no force would do the trick, but at 0 deg it would be the easiest. I'm also sure it's not linear, but that's as far as my knowledge takes me for this kind of linkage...

81a8ba_86c3d41559d04f0daaefe600a4e9722d~mv2.jpg

For this example lets say the the plates weigh 1kg each, and there is no friction involved. It's probably something you guys blurt out in your sleep, for me it's voodoo...

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks, and happy September 1st holiday for us parents... (:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lengths of the plates?

4. Sep 1, 2016 #3
    Ohhh dear, you're right, that IS important... It's 0.5m each.

Thank you.

5. Sep 1, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you familiar with trig functions?

6. Sep 1, 2016 #5
    The basic stuff I suppose

7. Sep 1, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Give you any ideas?

8. Sep 1, 2016 #7
    Not sure I understand what you mean...
    Do trig functions give me any ideas, or are you asking me if I want you to give me any ideas...

9. Sep 1, 2016 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

10. Sep 3, 2016 #9
    Yes, they give me an idea, but only an idea regarding the non-linear fashion of the force I need. As I said, I have a real problem with understanding formulas, all the way back to my school years. I've been designing and building machines for years using my experience and gut feeling when it comes to selecting motion components. So far nothing has crashed... but sometimes my gut feeling is not enough and I need to go back to school.

The way I see it, the mass is centered in the pivot. It should be half of each plate's mass when the angle is 180 deg., so there's 1kg to lift there. I also know that the pivot point gets easier to lift in a non-linear manner. It should be half the mass at 60 deg. if I'm not mistaken.

11. Sep 3, 2016 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted