Understanding Gas Dynamics in Piston-Crank Slider System

In summary, gas dynamics in a piston-crank slider system involve the study of the movement and behavior of gases within the system. This includes the compression, expansion, and combustion of gases within the cylinder, as well as their effects on the movement of the piston and crank slider. Understanding gas dynamics is crucial in designing efficient and powerful engines, as well as predicting and preventing potential issues such as engine knock and overheating. Various factors such as fuel type and ignition timing can greatly impact gas dynamics in a piston-crank slider system, making it a complex and important area of study in the field of mechanical engineering.
Eko
TL;DR Summary
crank slider mechanism.
I need help understanding what happens to the gas that is being worked by the piston, in the crank slider. My goal is to produce linear motion on an object up to a certain height and I'm wondering since the slider moves back during the rotation of the crank what happens to the object I'm trying to push and gas inside the piston. Most of the help online-only deals on force analysis of the crank and the slider. Any help or reference text on this topic would help. suppose end EG wasn't closed and there was an object there.

Attachments

• crank.png
    crank.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 104
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The closed end of the cylinder will have an inlet and an outlet port, so that more air can be inducted while the piston volume is increasing, and the compressed gas can escape during the exhaust cycle. The valves may be controlled by some form of crankshaft, or simply by pressure difference.

You need to better describe why you need the cylinder to lift an unidentified object with a slider-crank.

:smile:thank you for the reply, its kind of a simple project, an electric hospital bed so a motor to produce rotary motion and a crank slider to convert it to linear. I am new to the mechanics of machines stuff so crank slider was the only option i thought off, If you have a better one I am up to hear them.Thanks again.

Maybe consider a linear actuator in the form of an electric motor driven screw.
Search eBay or Amazon for "linear actuator".

Likes Lnewqban, Eko and berkeman
thanks that's much simple

1. What is gas dynamics?

Gas dynamics is the study of the behavior and motion of gases under various conditions, such as pressure, temperature, and volume. It involves the application of principles from fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and other related fields to understand the behavior of gases.

2. How does gas dynamics relate to piston-crank slider systems?

In a piston-crank slider system, gases are often used to power the movement of the piston. Understanding gas dynamics is crucial in designing and optimizing these systems, as it allows for the prediction of gas behavior and its effects on the overall performance of the system.

3. What factors affect gas dynamics in a piston-crank slider system?

Some of the main factors that affect gas dynamics in a piston-crank slider system include the type of gas used, its pressure and temperature, the geometry of the system, and the speed and acceleration of the piston.

4. How can gas dynamics be analyzed in a piston-crank slider system?

Gas dynamics in a piston-crank slider system can be analyzed through various methods, such as mathematical modeling, computer simulations, and experimental testing. These methods allow for the prediction and evaluation of gas behavior and its impact on the system's performance.

5. Why is understanding gas dynamics important in piston-crank slider systems?

Understanding gas dynamics is crucial in piston-crank slider systems as it enables engineers to design and optimize these systems for maximum efficiency and performance. It also helps in identifying potential issues and finding solutions to improve the overall operation of the system.