Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cranks and Pistons

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Hello all

I was given a problem involving cranks and pistons. I do not understand the exact question, but it involved an oblique triangle where you had to apply the Law of cosines. Lets say you are given [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}, x=7, c = 11 [/tex] where [tex] c [/tex] where c is the hypotenuse and [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 200 [/tex]. Find the rate of change of the piston.

So here it is:

[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C [/tex]
    [tex] a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc\cos A [/tex]
    [tex] b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2ac\cos B [/tex]

Ok so how would I solve for the change of the piston? Would I just find the derivative of the first Law of Cosine expression and substitute in the values?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,what's the connection betweent the 4 variables:a,b,c & x?? :confused:

Daniel.

4. Feb 1, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

What is x and what in the world is "the change of the piston"? (How does a piston change?)

5. Feb 1, 2005 #4
    sorry I meant to say the rate of change of the piston . [tex] x [/tex] is one of the sides of the triangle.

6. Feb 1, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Still doesn't make too much sense... :grumpy: What about a,b,c ???What are they...??

HINT:Post the initial problem's text in original form... :grumpy:

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook