1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cranks and Pistons

1. Feb 1, 2005 #1
    Hello all

I was given a problem involving cranks and pistons. I do not understand the exact question, but it involved an oblique triangle where you had to apply the Law of cosines. Lets say you are given [tex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{4}, x=7, c = 11 [/tex] where [tex] c [/tex] where c is the hypotenuse and [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = 200 [/tex]. Find the rate of change of the piston.

So here it is:

[tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab\cos C [/tex]
    [tex] a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc\cos A [/tex]
    [tex] b^2 = a^2 + c^2 - 2ac\cos B [/tex]

Ok so how would I solve for the change of the piston? Would I just find the derivative of the first Law of Cosine expression and substitute in the values?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,what's the connection betweent the 4 variables:a,b,c & x?? :confused:

4. Feb 1, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is x and what in the world is "the change of the piston"? (How does a piston change?)
  5. Feb 1, 2005 #4
    sorry I meant to say the rate of change of the piston . [tex] x [/tex] is one of the sides of the triangle.
  6. Feb 1, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Still doesn't make too much sense... :grumpy: What about a,b,c ???What are they...??

HINT:Post the initial problem's text in original form... :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?