Cranks in other languages and cultures

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of cranks in different cultures and languages, particularly in online forums like the one found in Russia. The conversation also mentions how Russia and other ex-Soviet states are producing unconventional ideas and theories, and defines a crank as someone who promotes nonsensical ideas.
cronxeh
Gold Member
So since I also speak Russian I've decided to see if there are forums like PF in Russia(n) - and I've stumbled upon one, and on that forum I've found - you guessed it - a crank! It seems to me in every culture there is a devoted group of ignoramuses who, despite the experimental results, will provide their own interpretation to already tested and accepted ideas.

http://phorum.lebedev.ru/viewtopic.php?t=15 [Broken]

Does anyone have any examples from Chinese, Indian, and other languages and cultures of crankpots?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
cronxeh said:
So since I also speak Russian I've decided to see if there are forums like PF in Russia(n) - and I've stumbled upon one, and on that forum I've found - you guessed it - a crank!

Russia and other ex-Soviet states are generating much of the wacky fringe stuff seen in this country today. Pravda and other papers are now pretty much on par with the National Enquirer, and even Tass has published some of the silly stuff.

What's a crank?

Smurf said:
What's a crank?

Typically, a hand tool consisting of a rotating shaft with parallel handle.

crackpot in dutch: kwakzalver

1. What does the term "crank" mean in other languages and cultures?

In French, "crank" translates to "manivelle" or "excentrique". In German, it is "Kurbel" or "Spinner". In Spanish, it is "manivela" or "chiflado". The meaning of "crank" in other languages and cultures generally refers to a handle or lever used to turn or rotate something, or to describe someone who is eccentric or crazy.

2. Is the concept of a "crank" present in all cultures?

While most cultures have a word or phrase that describes someone who is eccentric, the specific term "crank" may not be present in all languages. However, the idea of someone who is unconventional or odd is found in many cultures and can be expressed in various ways.

3. How is a "crank" viewed in different cultures?

The perception of a "crank" can vary greatly depending on the culture. In some societies, being eccentric may be seen as a positive or admirable trait, while in others it may be considered a negative or undesirable quality. The cultural values, beliefs, and norms of a society can influence how a "crank" is perceived.

4. Are there any notable "cranks" in history from other cultures?

Yes, there have been many notable "cranks" throughout history from various cultures. One example is Diogenes of Sinope, an ancient Greek philosopher who was known for his unconventional and eccentric behavior. Another is Nikola Tesla, a Serbian-American inventor who was famous for his unusual habits and ideas.

5. Can the term "crank" be considered offensive in some cultures?

It is possible that the term "crank" could be considered offensive in some cultures, particularly if it is used to mock or belittle someone. It is important to be aware of cultural sensitivity and to use language respectfully when discussing eccentric individuals in other cultures.