Craps Statistics: Win/Loss/Point Odds Explained

  • Thread starter Steel_City82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation is about the statistics of the game of craps. Three people are arguing about the percentages for the first roll to be a win, loss, or go into point and for a win or loss in point. One person suggests checking a program that simulates craps games and provides statistics on wins, losses, and playing speed. Another person mentions that the odds for the game are published in a dictionary and recommends a book on the topic. They discuss the number of possible outcomes for one throw, the distribution of sums, and the odds of winning on the first roll. They also mention more complex bets and suggest reading a book for further entertainment.
  • #1
Steel_City82
14
0
Can anyone figure out the statistics for the game of craps. what are the statistics for the first roll to be a win loss or go into point. and the statistics for a win in point or loss in point. Theres 3 people arguing 3 different percentages for each and we need help to prove one of us right. If you don't know how the game is played ill will explain if need be.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I don't know if this program will give you what you are looking for, but maybe it will be of interest.
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~pattis/15-1XX/15-200/programs.html
look for this...
Download: Craps Statistics
This program prompts the user for the number of craps games to play (craps is a dice game whose rules are explained in the opening comment in the Application.java file). It then simulates that many games of craps, printing the number of wins, losses, dice throws, elapsed time, and playing speed. This program uses the DiceEnsemble and Timer classes.
 
  • #3
craps is easy. in fact the correct odds, which are against the shooter, are even published in the webster unabridged dictionary under craps! even after 40 years i think i still remember them as 251 to 244.

a good book on this stuff, fascinating in its coverage of cheating, is john scarne's "scarne on dice", pub. about 1945.

ok, there are 2 dice, and each die has 6 sides, so by the fundamental principle of probability, there are 36 possible outcomes for one throw. now craps is concerned with the sum of the two numbers and these are not equally distributed.

12 can come up only one way, 2 can come up only one way. three and eleven can each come up two ways, and seven can come up 6 ways. If you check these assertions you will be well on your way to understanding craps odds.

now i forget the rules momentarily. does 3 lose on first roll? as well as 2 and 12? i suppose so.

and 7 and eleven win? well if so, there are 4 ways to lose on first roll, and 8 ways to win. and the possible points are 4,5,6,8,9,10, which occur in respectively, 3,4,5,5,4,3 ways. So there are 24 ways to go into point, 8 ways to win, and 4 ways to lose on first roll. that gives the odds on the first roll. i.e. you have an 8/36 chance of winning on the first roll.

then if you throw say a point of 10, you have only a 1/2 chance of making it afterwards since there are only three ways to make 10 and 6 ways to make the now deadly 7.

etc etc... this is fun but simple once you get the idea.

more interesting are combination bets like: should you bet me that I will not throw either a seven or an 8 in 2 throws of the dice? (you should not, as the odds are 671 to 625 against you, if i am correct here. i have not done this since freshman year in college.)


and so on. check out scarne, you may be entertained.
 
Last edited:

Related to Craps Statistics: Win/Loss/Point Odds Explained

What is the overall probability of winning or losing in Craps?

The overall probability of winning in Craps is approximately 49.29%, while the probability of losing is 50.71%. This means that on average, the player has a slightly higher chance of losing in Craps.

What is the probability of rolling a specific number on the first roll?

The probability of rolling a specific number on the first roll, also known as the "point", depends on the number itself. For example, the probability of rolling a 2 or a 12 is 2.78%, while the probability of rolling a 7 is 16.67%. The most common point rolled is 7, followed by 6 and 8.

How does the point affect the odds of winning in Craps?

The point refers to the number that is established on the first roll. If the point is rolled again before a 7, the player wins. The probability of winning in this scenario is approximately 35.64%. However, if a 7 is rolled before the point, the player loses and the probability of this happening is 64.36%. Therefore, the point greatly affects the odds of winning in Craps.

What are the odds of winning or losing on subsequent rolls after the point is established?

After the point is established, the odds of winning or losing on subsequent rolls change. The probability of winning decreases to approximately 29.63%, while the probability of losing increases to 70.37%. This is because there are more possible combinations that add up to a 7 compared to the point number.

How do the odds in Craps compare to other casino games?

The odds in Craps are generally considered to be better than other casino games, such as roulette or slot machines. However, they are not as favorable as some card games, such as blackjack. The house edge in Craps is typically around 1.4%, which is relatively low compared to other games. This means that the player has a better chance of winning in Craps compared to some other casino games.

Similar threads

  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
4
Views
914
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
2
Replies
53
Views
6K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
5
Views
954
Replies
9
Views
3K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
14
Views
1K
  • Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
Replies
1
Views
2K
Back
Top