Crash Internet Explorer 6 & 7 with a Single Click

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a webpage that can crash Internet Explorer 6 and 7 without using an infinite loop. The effectiveness of the crash on different versions of Internet Explorer and its impact on Microsoft is also mentioned. The topic of using a 'Powered by Microsoft' graphic on a website not maintained by the company is brought up. The connection between LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and IE crashes is debated, with one person mentioning a bug in MSIE that is provoked by Apache and PHP. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the browser only sees Javascript and HTML, so the server side technology used does not affect the crash.
-Job-
Science Advisor
At work i accidently created some Javascript that crashes Internet Explorer 6 & 7. I decided to put it on a page so that anyone can crash their IE by clicking a button. It's interesting because it doesn't use an infinite loop or anything like that, it's just a straight crash.
http://www.bloo.us/crash.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
This does nothing to the latest Internet Explorer 7, at least for me.

Mmm, i can't crash IE7SP2. SP2 is actually pretty hard to crash, it seems.

I suppose that's good for Microsoft then. Lots of people criticize the company for ignoring the mistakes they made in their products when new releases come out.

Hmm. Very cool. :smile:

Be careful about using the 'Powered by Microsoft' graphic on a website not maintained or owned by above corporation.

Thanks I like it

Would anyone know why IE hang when used with LAMP stuff? (LAMP, for anyone unfamiliar, is Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP based apps) I have random problems which always seem to involve IE but can crash other apps too. Joomla is good at it, on exit or closing an admin page and MSIE goes into rigour.

Rdx, whether IE crashes or not does not depend on using LAMP. The client code is entirely independent.

verty said:
Rdx, whether IE crashes or not does not depend on using LAMP. The client code is entirely independent.

There is a note in the docs of one package, phpAdmin or something that mentions a bug in MSIE that is provoked by Apache and PHP, or some such. I have had such crashes, hanging MSIE and crashing Linux and/or MySQL at the same time. Should I believe you or my own eyes? :)

All the browser sees is Javascript & Html, so it doesn't really matter what you're using on the server side.

1. How is it possible to crash Internet Explorer 6 and 7 with just one click?

It is possible to crash these versions of Internet Explorer by executing a piece of code that causes the browser to enter an infinite loop, overwhelming its memory and causing it to crash.

2. Can any website or program cause this crash?

Any website or program that contains the specific code to cause the crash can cause it to occur. However, this code is typically not found on legitimate websites or programs.

3. Is this crash intentional or a bug in the browser?

This crash is intentional and is commonly referred to as a "denial of service" attack. It exploits a vulnerability in Internet Explorer's code to cause the crash.

4. Is there a way to prevent this crash from happening?

Yes, the best way to prevent this crash is to update to a newer version of Internet Explorer or switch to a different browser. Additionally, keeping your computer's security software up to date can also help prevent these types of attacks.

5. Are there any potential risks or consequences of this crash?

Aside from the inconvenience of having your browser crash, there is a potential risk of the code used to cause the crash being malicious and potentially accessing sensitive information on your computer. It is important to always be cautious when browsing the internet and to have up-to-date security measures in place.