What is the change in kinetic energy of the crate pulled up a rough incline?

• Thread starter Joshua Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary: But I get an error message. What am I doing wrong?In summary, the gravitational force of 142 N pulls a crate a distance of 5.79 m. The work done by the gravitational force is 463.99 J. The work done by the applied force is 200.786 J.
Joshua Lee

Homework Statement

A crate is pulled up a rough incline. The pulling force is parallel to the incline. The crate is pulled a distance of 5.79 m. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2
theta=23.4 degrees
mass= 8.91kg
Force pulling on box= 142N
coefficient of friction= 0.292
Initial velocity of box= 1.48m/s

A.What is the magnitude of the work is done by the gravitational force? Answer in units of J.
B.How much work is done by the 142 N force? Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

PE= mgh
W=F*displacement*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I tried using the mgh formula but height is not given. Then, I tried the second formula given but I do not know how to calculate the displacement.
B. Used the second equation got W= 142N*5.79*cos(23.4). Ended up being incorrect.
UPDATE: got the second one as the cos(theta) ended up being 1 as the angle between the displacement and the force was 0.Clearly lost. I do not know where to properly start so a hint at that would be helpful![/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating the height from the distance is basic trigonometry. The pulling force of 142 N has the same direction as the displacement, so you don't need any trig functions in part B.

hilbert2 said:
Calculating the height from the distance is basic trigonometry. The pulling force of 142 N has the same direction as the displacement, so you don't need any trig functions in part B.
So cos(23.4)=x/5.79. 5.79cos(23.4)=x. x=5.314
mgh= 8.91*9.8*5.314= 463.99
Does this mean the work done by gravity is 463.99?

^ If theta is the angle between the incline and the horizontal direction, then h = d sin(theta), where d = 5.79m

hilbert2 said:
^ If theta is the angle between the incline and the horizontal direction, then h = d sin(theta), where d = 5.79m
Plugging in I get h= 2.299m
mgh=8.91*9.8*2.299= 200.786
Does this mean the work done by gravity is 200.786?

^ Looks like it's correct, but I suggest you try to include the units of the physical quantities in all calculations in the future. That way you can often spot mistakes by checking whether the result is dimensionally correct.

hilbert2 said:
^ Looks like it's correct, but I suggest you try to include the units of the physical quantities in all calculations in the future. That way you can often spot mistakes by checking whether the result is dimensionally correct.
Thanks, that answer was correct.
One last question. I am looking for the change in kinetic energy. I tried 822.18J- 200.786J= 621.394J with the equation Change in kinetic energy= work by gravity+ work by applied force.

1. What is a "crate pulled up rough incline"?

A crate pulled up rough incline refers to a physical situation where a crate or heavy object is being pulled up a steep or uneven surface, causing difficulties in the process.

2. How does the incline of the surface affect the process of pulling a crate?

The steeper the incline, the more difficult it is to pull a crate up. This is because the gravitational force pulling the crate downward increases with the steepness of the incline, making it harder to overcome with the force used to pull the crate.

3. What factors affect the roughness of the incline when pulling a crate?

The roughness of the incline can be affected by the material of the surface, such as gravel or grass, as well as any obstacles or unevenness present on the surface. These factors can cause the crate to get stuck or require more force to pull up the incline.

4. How can the process of pulling a crate up a rough incline be made easier?

One way to make the process easier is by reducing the weight of the crate. This can be done by removing unnecessary items from the crate or using a lighter crate. Another way is to use tools or equipment, such as a pulley system, to assist in pulling the crate up the incline.

5. What are the potential risks or safety concerns when pulling a crate up a rough incline?

There is a risk of the crate slipping or rolling back down the incline, which can cause injury to the person pulling it. It is important to use proper lifting techniques and have a clear path for the crate to avoid any accidents. Additionally, the weight of the crate and the force required to pull it up the incline can put strain on the body, so caution should be taken to avoid overexertion.