Calculating Work Done on a Crate Pushed up an Incline

• Thread starter easchwen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, the problem involves a person pushing a crate up a ramp at a 30 degree angle with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.2. The person pushes the crate a distance of 29 m along the ramp at a constant velocity. To calculate the work done by the person, the work due to gravity and friction must be found and added together. The work due to normal force is zero and the work due to gravity is calculated using the equation W=mgh. To calculate the work due to friction, the formula W=F(delta x)cos(theta) must be used, with the normal force being the force acting in the direction of the displacement. The displacement in this case is 29 m along the incline, giving
easchwen

Homework Statement

A crate of mass 20 kg is pushed up a ramp by a person, at an angle of 30 degrees. Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the ramp is k=0.2. Calculate the work done by the person in pushing the crate a distance of 29 m as measured along the ramp. Assume that the crate moves with at a constant velocity.

Homework Equations

W=mgh
W=F(delta x)cos(theta)=(coefficient of friction)mg(delta x)cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the work due to normal force to be 0, then used the first equation to find the work due to gravity. W=(20kg)(9.8m/s^2)(14.5m)=2842 Next I used the second equation to find the work due to the friction. W=(.2)(20)(9.8)(25.1147)cos(30)=852.59875

I added these two numbers together since the person would have to do work against gravity and the friction and got 3694.59875, but this isn't the right answer. Anyone have help for me? I am thinking my equations might not be right.

Physics news on Phys.org
easchwen said:

Homework Statement

A crate of mass 20 kg is pushed up a ramp by a person, at an angle of 30 degrees. Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the ramp is k=0.2. Calculate the work done by the person in pushing the crate a distance of 29 m as measured along the ramp. Assume that the crate moves with at a constant velocity.

Homework Equations

W=mgh
W=F(delta x)cos(theta)=(coefficient of friction)mg(delta x)cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the work due to normal force to be 0, then used the first equation to find the work due to gravity. W=(20kg)(9.8m/s^2)(14.5m)=2842 Next I used the second equation to find the work due to the friction. W=(.2)(20)(9.8)(25.1147)cos(30)=852.59875

I added these two numbers together since the person would have to do work against gravity and the friction and got 3694.59875, but this isn't the right answer. Anyone have help for me? I am thinking my equations might not be right.
For the work done by friction, what's that 25.1147 number?

The 25.1147 is the 29 m times sin(30), or the change in the x direction. The 14.5 is the change in the y direction.

easchwen said:
The 25.1147 is the 29 m times sin(30), or the change in the x direction. The 14.5 is the change in the y direction.
The 14.5 is ok for the y direction when calculating the work done by gravity, but the friction force does not act in the horizontal x direction. What is the formula for work? What is the angle between the friction force and its displacement? What is the value of its displacement?

The formula for work that I found in my notes was W=(coefficient of friction)mg(delta x)cos(theta), so would I just use the 14.5 instead of the 25.1147? I know the displacement of the box is 29 m in the diagonal direction, with an angle of 30 degrees. Am I overthinking this problem? I'm still very confused.

easchwen said:
The formula for work that I found in my notes was W=(coefficient of friction)mg(delta x)cos(theta), so would I just use the 14.5 instead of the 25.1147? I know the displacement of the box is 29 m in the diagonal direction, with an angle of 30 degrees. Am I overthinking this problem? I'm still very confused.
Be careful just looking at your notes without trying to understand WHY work = (umgcostheta)(delta x), which applies only to work being done by forces acting in the same direction of the displacemnt. 'delta x' in this case is the magnitude of the displacement vector between the initial and final position of the crate. How far does the crate move parallel to the incline?

It moves 29 m parallel to the incline... so that's my delta x?

easchwen said:
It moves 29 m parallel to the incline... so that's my delta x?
well, yes, but I can see that you are not quite understanding the concept of work. And I'm not sure if you have correctly identified the friction force. So let me ask you:

What is the value of the friction force? Show your equation used in determining that force. Then once you determine that force, what equation would you use to determine the work done by that force?

What is crate pushed up an incline?

Crate pushed up an incline is a physics experiment that involves studying the motion of a crate as it is pushed up a ramp or incline at various angles and forces.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the concepts of force, motion, and energy and how they are related in a real-life scenario. It also helps to demonstrate the effects of gravity and friction on an object's movement.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a crate, an incline or ramp, a force gauge, and a measuring tool. Additionally, you may need other items such as a stopwatch, weights, and a calculator depending on the specific setup and goals of the experiment.

How is the angle of the incline related to the force needed to push the crate up?

The angle of the incline is directly related to the force needed to push the crate up. As the angle of the incline increases, the force required to push the crate up also increases. This is due to the component of the crate's weight that is acting against the direction of motion, making it more difficult to push the crate up the incline.

What are some real-life applications of this experiment?

This experiment has real-life applications in fields such as engineering, construction, and transportation. Understanding the relationship between force, motion, and energy is crucial in designing and building structures, machines, and vehicles that are efficient and safe to use.