1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crates and pulleys

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    A 50-kg crate is suspended between the floor and the ceiling using two spring scales, one attached to the ceiling and one to the floor. If the lower scale reads 121 N, what is the reading of the upper scale? Ignore the weight of the scales.

So, I convert 50kg to N and get 490
    Then I subtract 121 from 490 and get 369 N

Why isn't the reading on the ceiling 369; wouldn't that make sense? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why did you subtract 121N? The lower scale is not supporting the crate, it's pulling down on it.
  4. Sep 10, 2006 #3
    I thought the two readings would have to equal the total mass of the crate? My understanding of pulleys is really lacking, and these notes given to me from my teacher make little sense (he is not the best instructor and has failed to give me a good explanation for them)

5. Sep 10, 2006 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Those notes don't match the problem you describe. Where the heck did the pulleys come from? According to the question in the OP, there are two spring scales, one aboved and one below. Take away the word "scale" and you have two springs. ONe pulls up, one pulls down. The one above will have to pull up with the force equal to the weight of the crate plus the amount by which the lower spring pulls down.

The notes are for "Atwood's" machine, that's a different problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?