Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cravings

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Do you ever get cravings for a certain food?

A few weeks ago I HAD to have salted cashews. I ate two cans of them in a couple of days.

Yesterday it was olives. I notice I tend to crave salty foods.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i eat olives like they are going out of style...i crave avocados and artichokes frequently too.

4. Apr 24, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

hmmm i like VERY salted foods....(same as you mom!!) usually it's chips (fries), which have been salted and have mayonnaise on them!!! mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm. Sometimes i crave salt and vinegar crisps. Oh, yeah, i HAVE to have a bacon fix everyday or i get real crabby!!

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love both of those too. (I knew there was something I really liked about you Kerrie!!) :biggrin:

Wow, I thought I was the only one that ate fries with mayonaise.

6. Apr 24, 2004 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

I LOVE fries with mayonaisse!! I love artichokes and avacados with mayonaise!! I love broccoli and asparagus with mayonaisse!! There is not much that is not a really good reason to eat lots and lots of mayonaisse! :biggrin: One of the few things that is not a really good vehicle for mayonaisse, but I crave frequently is CAKE! I love sweets. Cookies, sticky buns... Root beer floats have been a recent craving of mine. Dang, now I'm hungry, and I just got here. :frown: Gotta go get a snack.

7. Apr 25, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*ughm* whole Europe does :rolleyes: :smile:
    it must be your European genes that make you like the combination :)

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7
    Then why is it that in the Netherlands they always try to make me eat the weird "Frietsaus" that you THINK is mayonaise ?

9. Apr 25, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because frietsaus IS mayonaise? And who coined the term french-fries? We all know the Belgians are the ones who love the patattekes the most :)

10. Apr 25, 2004 #9
    I crave chocolate, sweets.

11. Apr 25, 2004 #10
    I have to protest, both as a Belgian and lover of fries with mayonaise, frietsaus IS NOT mayonaise. Order "Een kleinke mé majoneis" at the nearest frietkot, you'll understand... :smile:

12. Apr 25, 2004 #11
    Fruit and fruit juices, quite often. And I'm quite nuts about water. I drink LOTS of water.

13. Apr 25, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

I seem to recall seeing something like 'pom freits' for sale at food counters in the Netherlands? Aren't those 'french fries'?

14. Apr 25, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pomme frites, that is french for fried potato. The disputable honor (:P) for inventing the fries really goes to the Belgians, and to be precise I guess the french speaking part of it, what do you say Dimitri?

I'll guess I'll try a kleinke mé next time I'm near a Belgian stand and feel a craving coming up :D

15. Apr 25, 2004 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

Pomme frites!! Yeah! That was it! But didn't I see them sold all over europe as 'pomme frites'? Doesn't France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, The Netherlands (and possibly others) call them 'pomme frites'? It's been quite a few years since we were there, so I could be remembering this wrong... Help me you guys!

16. Apr 25, 2004 #15

Tsu

Gold Member

What's a frietkot?

17. Apr 25, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The dutch call it patat, some provinces friet, the flemish patattekes, I don't know about the rest :biggrin: some companies sell them as pomme frites, they are shaped differently, a less perfect cut I guess, more nostalgic :)

18. Apr 25, 2004 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What I really hate is when you crave something you can't get anymore. Like when your favorite German restaurant goes out of business and takes their secret recipe for their wonderful German Potato Salad with them. :frown:

19. Apr 25, 2004 #18
    Every friday, I have a craving for chocolate. Every Saturday, I have a craving for Jumba Juice.

20. Apr 26, 2004 #19
    Well, the Brits call them chips for some reason...
    And the Flemish don't call them patattekes, by that they just mean potatoes. They're just called "Frieten" or "Frites" in the French-speaking part. I think pomme frites is used mainly in France, and in the Nederlands of course, where they make it a point of honour to call everything by it's French name and then minspronounce it. Sjudoransj anyone? :wink:

21. Apr 26, 2004 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol, actually we just say Sju :tongue: .. it is much easier to say than ssssinaasssappelsssap :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?