Craziest, wierdest science words

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the most outrageously bizarre science or math words or terms that have come to mind are: Bordism, ultrafilter, frivolously Theorem of Arithmetic, the Law of Truly Large Numbers, paneity, smegma, Gland, Member, Partial Wetting, backside scratch, 12-inch studs, cleavage, deep penetration, drag, probe, hardness, touch trigger, bladder, cock, double entry, cavity filling, flaps, nailing, chopper, lay shaft.
Imparcticle
What are quite possibly the MOST outrageously bizarre science OR math words or terms you have come to know??

for me its Bordism because it reminds me of being "Bored". Kind of boring, I know. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
"borborgymi" is the technical term for 'stomach growling'

hard to think of any math terms that would be weird since I'm kind of used to them & they aren't really weird anymore. off the top of my head how about "ultrafilter"?

The first time my very proper, Swiss Physics professor started in on canonical equations, I thought that either he was either drunk, or just mispronouncing the word, and meant conical equations.

Frivolous Theorem of Arithmetic - Almost all natural numbers are very, very, very large.

The Law of Truly Large numbers - With a large enough sample, any outrageous thing is likely to happen (Diaconis and Mosteller, 1989)

And this one is not really a science word (it belongs in philosophy or theology or watchamacallit), but I'm glad Ivan introduced me to it...

paneity - the state of being bread.

Gokul43201 said:
paneity - the state of being bread.

Yes, and a state I quite enjoy. :biggrin:

Smegma. :yuck:

Ooooh, where to begin...!

1. Bush
2. Shaft
3. Wankel
4. Flange
5. Gland
6. Gusset
7. Back-end Wetness
8. Lubrication
9. Butt Plug
10. Flashing
11. Slot
12. Ram Rod
13. Orifice Gauge
14. Big End
15. Nipples
16. Thrust
17. Head Loss
18. Rear Entry Nozzle
19. Good Lay
20. Ring Expander
21. Stiffness
22. Truss
23. Member
24. Partial Wetting
25. Backside Scratch
26. 12-Inch Studs
27. Cleavage
28. Deep Penetration
29. Drag
30. Probe
31. Hard Probe
32. Touch Trigger
33. Bladder
34. Cock
35. Double Entry
36. Cavity Filling
37. Flaps
38. Nailing
39. Chopper
40. Lay Shaft

Any more for any more?

ookkkayyy...

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

because it's big :biggrin:

brewnog said:
Any more for any more?

Semi-latus rectum!

Here's one I just came across from linguistics: Cliticization - the phonological attachment of a morpheme to another word or morpheme. A clitic is a morpheme with a special status somewhere between an affix (prefix, suffix, infix) and a word. An example from English is the genitive (possessive) -'s. Unlike an affix, which attaches to members of certain word classes, a clitic attaches at a fixed point in a phrase, as in the king's castle, the King of England's castle, the King of England who was silly's castle. Contraction ('twas, I've) is another type of cliticization. Ah, cliticization. :cool:

The Pfaffian, from mathematics. I find that word very amusing. No offence to the Pfaffs.

brewnog said:
12. Ram Rod
Say, where can I get one of those? For my friend... :blushing:

Geology words I quite enjoy (and get funny looks for saying in public).

-Schist/schistosity
-Cleavage, particularly slaty cleavage
-Dykes/dyke swarms, particulary Scourie dykes (people tend to assume scourie is an adjective, possibly an offensive one)
-Thrusting, piggyback thrusting.

matthyaouw said:
Geology words I quite enjoy (and get funny looks for saying in public).

-Schist/schistosity
-Cleavage, particularly slaty cleavage
-Dykes/dyke swarms, particulary Scourie dykes (people tend to assume scourie is an adjective, possibly an offensive one)
-Thrusting, piggyback thrusting.

I bet you like a big of slag too, eh?

brewnog said:
I bet you like a big of slag too, eh?

Always, but that's not really appropriate discussion material for here. :wink:

brewnog said:
Ooooh, where to begin...!

1. Bush
2. Shaft
3. Wankel
4. Flange
5. Gland
6. Gusset
7. Back-end Wetness
8. Lubrication
9. Butt Plug
10. Flashing
11. Slot
12. Ram Rod
13. Orifice Gauge
14. Big End
15. Nipples
16. Thrust
17. Head Loss
18. Rear Entry Nozzle
19. Good Lay
20. Ring Expander
21. Stiffness
22. Truss
23. Member
24. Partial Wetting
25. Backside Scratch
26. 12-Inch Studs
27. Cleavage
28. Deep Penetration
29. Drag
30. Probe
31. Hard Probe
32. Touch Trigger
33. Bladder
34. Cock
35. Double Entry
36. Cavity Filling
37. Flaps
38. Nailing
39. Chopper
40. Lay Shaft

Any more for any more?
Grunt&gobble.

1. What is the meaning of "quantum entanglement"?

Quantum entanglement refers to a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two particles become connected and share a state, regardless of how far apart they are. This means that any change in one particle will instantly affect the other, even if they are on opposite ends of the universe.

2. Can you explain what "supersymmetry" is?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept in particle physics that suggests every known particle has a partner particle with different spin properties. This theory could potentially help explain some of the fundamental mysteries of the universe, such as dark matter.

3. What are "black holes" and how do they form?

Black holes are regions in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape from it. They form when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a singularity (a point of infinite density) surrounded by an event horizon (a point of no return).

4. What is the "multiverse" theory?

The multiverse theory is a concept in cosmology that suggests there may be multiple universes besides our own. These universes could have different physical laws and constants, and may even have different versions of ourselves living in them.

5. What is the difference between "dark energy" and "dark matter"?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the universe and is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Dark matter, on the other hand, is a type of matter that does not interact with light and makes up about 27% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the gravitational effects observed in galaxies and galaxy clusters.