Crazy 2nd derivative problem

• Thread starter greko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, The speaker is trying to find the inflection point of a complex equation by taking the second derivative. They are unsure if their answer is correct and asks for confirmation. Another person suggests using the first derivative to find the inflection point and explains the process. They also mention that inflection points don't have to be critical points.
greko
I am not sure if this counts as homework but its a complex problem to me. I must find the inflection point of the equation (c/((1+ae^(-bx)))). Therefore I must take the 2nd derivative. Which I got as (abc)(e^(-bx))(abe^(-bx)-b)/((1+ae^(-bx))^7)). And this sounds wrong to me? Can someone tell me if I am on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're on the right track. The 7th power in the denominator should just be a 3rd power, though - was this a typo, or did you make a mistake? Now what does this equal at the inflection point?

You actually should be able to find the inflection point using only the first derivative. Set the derivative equal to zero and then test points on both sides of each zero. If you get matching signs on both sides of a critical point then you have an inflection.

Mu naught said:
You actually should be able to find the inflection point using only the first derivative. Set the derivative equal to zero and then test points on both sides of each zero. If you get matching signs on both sides of a critical point then you have an inflection.

Inflection points don't have to be critical points

1. What is a "crazy 2nd derivative problem"?

A "crazy 2nd derivative problem" refers to a mathematical problem that involves finding the second derivative of a function. This can be a challenging task as it requires a deep understanding of calculus and the ability to manipulate complex equations.

2. Why is the second derivative important?

The second derivative is important because it tells us about the curvature of a function. It can help us determine whether a function is increasing or decreasing, concave up or concave down, and the location of maximum and minimum points on the graph.

3. How do you solve a "crazy 2nd derivative problem"?

To solve a "crazy 2nd derivative problem", you need to first take the derivative of the function to find the first derivative. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the second derivative. It may also be helpful to graph the function to visualize the problem and check for any mistakes in your calculations.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a "crazy 2nd derivative problem"?

Some common mistakes when solving a "crazy 2nd derivative problem" include incorrect application of the rules of differentiation, forgetting to simplify the equations, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of potential mistakes.

5. How can understanding the second derivative be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding the second derivative can be useful in various real-world applications such as optimization problems in economics, physics, and engineering. It can also help in determining the rate of change or acceleration of a system, as well as predicting and analyzing trends in data.