Crazy Ecologists

Main Question or Discussion Point

l To Restock North America's Large Animals
Elephants, lions, cheetahs and camels could one day roam the western US under a proposal to recreate North American landscapes as they existed more than 13,000 years ago, when humans first encountered them.

The plan, proposed in a commentary in Nature and co-authored by 13 ecologists and conservation biologists, would help enrich a North American ecosystem that was left almost devoid of large mammals at the end of the Pleistocene period. It would also help preserve wildlife that faces the threat of extinction in Africa and Asia.

Between 50,000 and 10,000 years ago, 97 of 150 genera of large mammals disappeared from around the world. Although a warming climate played its part, the consensus is that over-hunting by humans probably had a significant role.

In North America, by about 13,000 years ago, humans were leaving evidence of big-game hunting using sophisticated stone tools. This hunting probably helped to drive many animals to extinction, including North American mammoths and mastodons, lions, cheetahs, camelops (a relative of the modern camel), horses and asses....continued
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7862
What are they thinking?! Is this really as idiotic an idea at is sounds to me?

Answers and Replies

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
This hunting probably helped to drive many animals to extinction, including North American mammoths...and asses.
There are still plenty of asses around.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
My high school must have been a habitat for asses

Yeah, these animals went exstinct and guess what? We're just fine without them. Until an alien probe comes and starts destroying Earth because it can't find any camels to talk too, America stays as it is now.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Entropy said:
Yeah, these animals went exstinct and guess what? We're just fine without them. Until an alien probe comes and starts destroying Earth because it can't find any camels to talk too, America stays as it is now.
Thats like saying lets kill all the stupid people because the world wouldnt be worse off. I agree.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
Apparently they aren't content with natural selection. :bugeye:

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Camels, fine. But keep the large carnivores far away from me and my tasty flesh. :uhh:

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I remember going to the Page Museum a few years back and being amazed that there actually used to be things like giant camels, mammoths, and sabertooth cats, in the Los Angeles basin at the same time as humans, especially considering that it wasn't really all that long ago. Still, I don't think there would be much room for them at this point.

Ecologist are normallyl considerd allays of the communist party, but these guys are just plane nuts :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: .

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Apparently they aren't content with natural selection. :bugeye:
Fundamentalist Christian ecologists :wink: