Restocking North America's Large Animals: Crazy Ecologists' Plan

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
In summary: North American landscapes as they existed more than 13,000 years ago, when humans first encountered them in order to reintroduce large mammals and preserve wildlife that faces the threat of extinction.The Pleistocene period, which ended around 11,700 years ago, was a time of great ecological change. Mammals that currently inhabit Africa and Asia, such as elephants, lions, cheetahs, and camels, disappeared from North America at that time. The proposal is to recreate North American landscapes as they existed during this time in order to reintroduce these large mammals and preserve wildlife that faces the threat of extinction in Africa and Asia.The plan has been met with mixed reactions. Some ecologists are excited by the
TheStatutoryApe
l To Restock North America's Large Animals
Elephants, lions, cheetahs and camels could one day roam the western US under a proposal to recreate North American landscapes as they existed more than 13,000 years ago, when humans first encountered them.

The plan, proposed in a commentary in Nature and co-authored by 13 ecologists and conservation biologists, would help enrich a North American ecosystem that was left almost devoid of large mammals at the end of the Pleistocene period. It would also help preserve wildlife that faces the threat of extinction in Africa and Asia.

Between 50,000 and 10,000 years ago, 97 of 150 genera of large mammals disappeared from around the world. Although a warming climate played its part, the consensus is that over-hunting by humans probably had a significant role.

In North America, by about 13,000 years ago, humans were leaving evidence of big-game hunting using sophisticated stone tools. This hunting probably helped to drive many animals to extinction, including North American mammoths and mastodons, lions, cheetahs, camelops (a relative of the modern camel), horses and asses...continued
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7862
What are they thinking?! Is this really as idiotic an idea at is sounds to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:

This hunting probably helped to drive many animals to extinction, including North American mammoths...and asses.

There are still plenty of asses around.

My high school must have been a habitat for asses

Yeah, these animals went exstinct and guess what? We're just fine without them. Until an alien probe comes and starts destroying Earth because it can't find any camels to talk too, America stays as it is now.

Entropy said:
Yeah, these animals went exstinct and guess what? We're just fine without them. Until an alien probe comes and starts destroying Earth because it can't find any camels to talk too, America stays as it is now.

Thats like saying let's kill all the stupid people because the world wouldn't be worse off. I agree.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Apparently they aren't content with natural selection. :bugeye:

Camels, fine. But keep the large carnivores far away from me and my tasty flesh. :uhh:

I remember going to the Page Museum a few years back and being amazed that there actually used to be things like giant camels, mammoths, and sabertooth cats, in the Los Angeles basin at the same time as humans, especially considering that it wasn't really all that long ago. Still, I don't think there would be much room for them at this point.

Ecologist are normallyl considerd allays of the communist party, but these guys are just plane nuts :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: .

Moonbear said:
Apparently they aren't content with natural selection. :bugeye:

Fundamentalist Christian ecologists :wink:

1. How do ecologists plan to restock North America's large animals?

Ecologists plan to restock North America's large animals by bringing back species that have gone extinct or severely declined in population through a process called "rewilding." This involves reintroducing these animals into their former habitats and managing their populations to ensure their survival.

2. What animals are included in this restocking plan?

The restocking plan includes a variety of large animals, such as bison, wolves, grizzly bears, and cougars. These are species that once played important roles in North America's ecosystems but have either gone extinct or experienced significant population declines due to human activities.

3. Is this plan feasible?

While it may seem like a far-fetched idea, many ecologists believe that restocking North America's large animals is feasible. Similar efforts have been successful in Europe, where species like the European bison and the Eurasian lynx have been successfully reintroduced into their former habitats.

4. How will restocking North America's large animals benefit the environment?

Restocking North America's large animals can have numerous benefits for the environment. These animals play important roles in maintaining balance in ecosystems, such as controlling populations of their prey and preventing overgrazing. Their presence can also help to improve biodiversity and restore damaged habitats.

5. What challenges may arise from this restocking plan?

One of the main challenges of restocking North America's large animals is the potential conflict with human activities. This can include conflicts with livestock, as well as concerns about human safety in areas where predators are reintroduced. Proper management and education will be necessary to address these challenges and ensure the success of the restocking plan.