1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crazy integral

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{sin(x)}}[/tex]

How would you evaluate this integral? Where do you even start?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2
    Well, we know that [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^{2}} = arctan(x) + C [/tex].

How can we think of [tex] e^{sin(x)} [/tex] as a term that's been squared?

4. Nov 2, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

No idea :(

I would have let u=sin x, so the integral becomes [tex]\int \frac{1}{1+e^u} \frac{du}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex] then did integration by parts.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #4
    I was completely wrong about using [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^{2}} = arctan(x) + C [/tex].

I tried evaluating the integral using my TI-89, but it wouldn't evaluate it unless I put in endpoints.

6. Nov 2, 2007 #5
    I would try the following. Put [tex]z=\exp\left(i x\right)[/tex]. The integral then becomes:

[tex]\oint\frac{1}{1+\exp\left(\frac{z-z^{-1}}{2i}\right)}\frac{dz}{iz}[/tex]

where the contour integral is over the unit circle in the complex plane. Next, use the residue theorem.

7. Nov 2, 2007 #6
    Actually, I think I found a way to do this without using complex analysis.
    The answer is pi.

Let [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x)}}[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=f(x-\pi)-\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x-\pi)}}-\frac{1}{2}[/tex].

I will now show that g(x) is an odd function on the interval [tex]\left[-\pi,\pi\right][/tex]. For this to be true, I need g(x)=-g(-x), or g(x)+g(-x)=0.

Using the fact that sin(x-pi)=-sin(x) and sin(-x-pi)=sin(x),

[tex]g(x)+g(-x)= [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x-\pi)}}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{1+e^{sin(-x-\pi)}}-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1+e^{-sin(x)}}+\frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x)}}-1[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1+e^{sin(x)}+1+e^{-sin(x)}}{(1+e^{-sin(x)})(1+e^{sin(x)})}-1[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{2+e^{sin(x)}+e^{-sin(x)}}{1+e^{sin(x)}+e^{-sin(x)}+1}-1[/tex]

[tex]=1-1=0[/tex]

Therefore, g(x) is odd, which implies that [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}g(x+\pi) dx=0[/tex].

Because [tex]f(x)=g(x+\pi)+\frac{1}{2}[/tex],

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x) dx[/tex] simply becomes [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{1}{2} dx[/tex], which is obviously pi.

8. Nov 2, 2007 #7
    I made it into a power series and got the value to be accurate to .0000001 and it does look like pi. :)

9. Nov 2, 2007 #8
    What happens here is that the integral is equal to: [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{sin(x)}}+[/tex] [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{-sin(x)}}[/tex]

The second integral then becomes: [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{e^{sinx}}{1+e^{sinx}}[/tex]

Thus adding the integrals reduces to [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}dx[/tex] as Doom of Doom has already figured out.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  10. Nov 3, 2007 #9
    holy crap so many different ways to do one integral. i like doom of dooms the best

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?