What is the equation of the tangent plane to a surface at a specific point?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, "Crazy quackulus problems" are fictional or exaggerated scientific problems used to demonstrate flawed thinking. They are commonly used in scientific education to highlight mistakes and misconceptions. These problems do not have a solution and can be found in any scientific field. To avoid falling into this trap, it is important to approach problems with a critical and logical mindset and seek feedback from others in the scientific community.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok i need a lil help here.. i got this question I am not sure how to do

Find the equation of the tangent plane to the surface 7z+7=x(e^y)cos(z) at the point (7,0,0). Any know this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of the plane is x=0...(the plane yOz)...

Compute the normal vector to the surface in the point (0,0,7).Show it is [tex] \vec{i} [/tex].

Daniel.

The equation of the tangent plane to a surface at a specific point is given by the formula:

z = f(a,b) + fx(a,b)(x-a) + fy(a,b)(y-b)

where f(a,b) is the value of the surface at the point (a,b) and fx(a,b) and fy(a,b) are the partial derivatives of the surface with respect to x and y at the point (a,b), respectively.

In this case, we are given the surface 7z+7=x(e^y)cos(z) and the point (7,0,0). We can find the partial derivatives by taking the derivative of the surface with respect to x and y:

fx = e^y*cos(z)
fy = -x*e^y*sin(z)

At the given point (7,0,0), we have:

f(7,0) = 7(0) + 7 = 7
fx(7,0) = e^0*cos(0) = 1
fy(7,0) = -7*e^0*sin(0) = 0

Substituting these values into the formula for the tangent plane, we get:

z = 7 + (1)(x-7) + (0)(y-0)
or simply,
z = 7 + x - 7
z = x

Therefore, the equation of the tangent plane to the surface 7z+7=x(e^y)cos(z) at the point (7,0,0) is z = x.

1. What are "Crazy quackulus problems"?

"Crazy quackulus problems" are fictional or exaggerated scientific problems that are often used to demonstrate a flawed or illogical approach to scientific thinking. They are not real problems and should not be taken seriously.

2. Why are "Crazy quackulus problems" used in scientific education?

"Crazy quackulus problems" are used in scientific education to highlight common mistakes and misconceptions in scientific thinking. By exaggerating these problems, students can better understand how to approach scientific problems critically and logically.

3. Can "Crazy quackulus problems" be solved?

No, "Crazy quackulus problems" are not real problems and therefore do not have a solution. They are used as examples of flawed or illogical thinking, rather than actual scientific puzzles.

4. Are "Crazy quackulus problems" only used in certain scientific fields?

No, "Crazy quackulus problems" can be used in any scientific field to demonstrate flawed thinking. They are commonly used in introductory science courses, but can also be found in more advanced courses as well.

5. How can I avoid falling into the trap of "Crazy quackulus problems" in my own scientific thinking?

To avoid falling into the trap of "Crazy quackulus problems", it is important to approach scientific problems with a critical and logical mindset. Always question your assumptions and look for evidence to support your claims. It is also helpful to seek feedback and input from others in the scientific community to ensure your thinking is sound.