Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crazy Question

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    Hello Physics Lovers,

I was working and suddenly got this question. What external forces have effects on electron spin, like slowing down/speeding up? Is that a possible thing in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Spin is an intrinsic property of a particle, similar to mass. It cannot be changed at all. Note that the particle isn't actually spinning in a circle. It's just that some of the math involving certain properties behaves AS IF it were a small little ball spinning around.

4. Nov 19, 2012 #3
    Electron is a fermion with spin 1/2 which can't be altered. The orientation of spin can be "up" or "down" and this can be seen by an external electromagnetic force. It may be interesting to read about the Stern-Gerlach experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern–Gerlach_experiment

5. Nov 19, 2012 #4
    You may be interested to know that it may be possible to separate/select/confine electron with specific spin. See this.

6. Nov 19, 2012 #5
    I think they are just flipping them to encode binary information: spin-up= 0, spin-down= 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook