Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crazy sushi ideas

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I NEED CRAZY SUSHI IDEAS!

So I was thinking, like, what if you put steak in a sushi thingy? or made sushi out of parts of a cheeseburger? Does anyone have any westernized bastardizations of sushi that I might want to try? Also, I need to learn how to make sushi. I bought a 8 piece sushi thing at the story today for like $5. This idea is awesome. Maybe chicken in sushi? IM SO SMRT.

Anyone else have crazy cool ideas to make sushi with? That actually work. I mean, to be fair, rice is a ridiculously easy base to work with. What doesn't go good with rice? Nothing, that's who.

DISCUSS!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2
    You could try this variation on a Philly roll. Use the smoked salmon and cream cheese, but instead of rice, use a bagel.

4. Oct 3, 2011 #3
    Cheese and rice don't go together--especially sticky rice and cheese. This obscure factoid has been bothering me for some time. I like both, but they just don't seem to work together (try rice with swiss cheese if you don't believe it).

Is there a way around this? I would enjoy a Philly cheese steak sushi role if at all feasable.

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4
    I lived in Hawaii for six years where they joke that the Japanese bought the islands because they couldn't conquer them. (The truth is they imported Japanese labor to work the fields long before WWII). Anyway, there's a local cuisine known as Hawaiian-Mexican which I recommend. Jalapenos and pineapple really go well together and would make a great dipping sauce for sushi. You might also experiment with other combinations and see how well corn does with some varieties of fish.

6. Oct 3, 2011 #5
    You've got breakfast burritos, bagels, burgers, crepes, pizzas, Hot Pockets, ... Why not sushi?

Just Googled it. It's been done (of course). Looks good! I think bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs would be awesome in a roll. You could lays strips of bacon on the top, or ditch the rice and seaweed and just wrap with bacon (and then you could add cheese)! Oh man now I want to make this.

7. Oct 3, 2011 #6

rhody

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Oct 3, 2011 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Penguin sushi.

9. Oct 3, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

:rofl:

Rhody...

10. Oct 3, 2011 #9
    That's like saying "chicken beef."

Apparently, I'm wrong. I looked it up and the "neta" can be anything, so how about some Raspberry ant sushi?

11. Oct 3, 2011 #10

rhody

Gold Member

"One Time" Ghost Pepper wasabi sushi. After one serving, you will need more consumer's for it, hence the nickname, "One Time".

Rhody... :rolleyes: :bugeye:

12. Oct 3, 2011 #11

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Raw fish? That seems pretty crazy.

Joking aside, I think Epic Meal Time did fast food sushi once. You might be able to use their YouTube video for guidance (you'll be the first).

13. Oct 3, 2011 #12

rhody

Gold Member

All I have to say is it is going to be fun to watch Pengy respond to this thread at the end of his work day.
    Cmon Peng, wade into this thread and take no prisioners !!!

Rhody... :redface:

14. Oct 3, 2011 #13

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently not such an original idea.

Penguin sushi!
    3084994699_5aaaae460c.jpg

More penguin sushi!
    http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/armenatoyan/default/fun-sushi-bento--large-msg-130023439376.jpg

Penguin sashimi!
    3618886771_7f30854502_o.jpg

And finally, the Penguin Cafe in Omaha Nebraska serves sushi (but apparently not penguin sushi).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  15. Oct 3, 2011 #14
    http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/armenatoyan/default/fun-sushi-bento--large-msg-130023439376.jpg
    These are My Friend Totoro, not penguins. Totoro is a wood spirit.

16. Oct 3, 2011 #15

rhody

Gold Member

Whoever made those cute little penguin sushi thingies has way too much free time on their hands.

Rhody...

17. Oct 3, 2011 #16
    I really like eel myself. Pretty standard fair though. Uni, sea urchin, is kind of crazy. I'm still not sure if I like it or not.

18. Oct 3, 2011 #17

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Before someone accuses me of posting a non-sushi image, let me correct myself. The last image is obviously penguin sashimi, not penguin sushi. I'll edit the referenced post, labeling the images.

19. Oct 3, 2011 #18
    steak tartare

20. Oct 3, 2011 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Pengwuino, try Korean kimbap, it's sushi, but can be made with cooked chicken, ham, hotdogs, hamburger, steak, vegetables, there are no rules for what goes in.

http://www.easykoreanfood.com/kimbap.html

21. Oct 3, 2011 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Quit trying to make my insides die :cry:

And what's the problem? :D

I WANNA MAKE THOSE!! :!!) :!!)

Pff, I rather break rules then go find places where there are no rules. That's how I roll :cool: . I want to put a cheeseburger in a sushi.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook