1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create a beam of infra red

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    the name says everything...but i want to know which metal is the besst to create infrared frequency

and how far can it travel,bounce n come back with a detectable intensity?
    i know the 2nd question is stupid coz we r talking abt em wave they dont get absorbed in medium but they do get absorbed when it an object (am i right)

n how much of the metal will i need to light up a room with infrared light?
    visible to the camera not to the human eye :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

How are you creating this infrared light? Heating an object up? Using an LED?
    Also, please try to use proper grammar and spelling, as it is very difficult to understand what you are asking.

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. As far as I am concerned, the cost of my interest in your problem is that I need to read what you are saying easily!:wink: When you wear spectacles and a hearing aid, you will know what I mean.

And you do need to be more specific about how you intend to produce your IR.

5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
    i get it my grammer is bad :D but my question is not answered...i want some matel that easily emits ir

6. Jun 8, 2012 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What did you want to do to it for it to emit IR? Heat it up, pass current through it, Ionise it?
    The spectrum of EM that comes off a hot object will have a peak in the IR region. It doesn't matter what material you use for that. If you just want IR, then some sort of filter would normally be used. You can get IR lamps for surveillance cameras, I believe. They would be basically filament lamps with filters to cut out the visible light.
    It may help if you told us your actual application.

7. Jun 8, 2012 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That's because you didn't provide further information, like when I asked how you planned to create infrared light.
    Also, what frequency range within the IR spectrum did you want to create and use?

8. Jun 14, 2012 #7
    ok i thought it would b easy but its deeper..seems like i have to research to make my own question clear..sorry n thanks for everythin :)

9. Jun 14, 2012 #8
    Based on you saying you want a camera to "see" it, I will assume you need near IR.
    Most silicone based cameras can only detect IR close to the visible spectrum.
    There are many IR LED's that will do this, Think about the LED's in a TV remote control.
    As far as heating metal for an IR source. Think about IRON, as it heats up it gets dull
    red,then orange-red, and at it's hottest it's called white hot. These colors represent
    the more energetic wavelengths as the metal gets hotter.
    A piece of iron, just before it is hot enough for you to see it, the camera can see the IR that is being emitted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook