Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create a particle ?

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Please forgive a (no nothing) from what i have understood, if enough energy
    is poured into the vacuum, a particle can (emerge) is this particle given
    existence, or is it drawn across some divide, sorry if this has been done to
    death some where before.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Is this question to (stupid) may be some one can tell me where to look for
    the obvious ansewer :smile:

4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A pair of particles can appear; you have to obey all conservation laws, so you have to produce particle-antiparticle pairs so as to average out the charge increase to zero. This has been used as a (not exactly right) explanation of Hawking radiation.

5. Mar 12, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks SA, when you say appear, does that mean they are created?

6. Mar 12, 2006 #5
    Yeah, but under regular circumstances they must recombine and anihilate within a short period of time.

7. Mar 12, 2006 #6
    This is a difficult question, as the created particle/antiparticle tends to seek a quick union with each other, therfore both "poofing" out of existance not long after creation.
    Of course, NATURE provided some unknown mechanism for particle creation stability during the stages of the "Big Bang" or whatever flavor of creation one ascribes to.
    I would venture to guess that during original "creation" that there were much more anihilations than stable "offshoots", but enough "stability" to create what we have now.

8. Mar 13, 2006 #7

Ich

Science Advisor

Google "dirac sea". That should correspond to your "drawn across some divide".

9. Mar 13, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Thank you all, i will look up dirac sea.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?