Creating a 3d thermal model in Matlab

In summary, it is possible to create a 3-D model of a mound showing temperature changes from the center using the given data. The meshgrid and surf functions in Matlab can be used to plot a surface of the mound with depth and temperature values. The colormap function can be used to color the surface based on temperature.
sirole
I have some experimentally determined data, and have been asked if it is possible to create a 3-d model of a mound, showing temperature changes from the center. The data I have been given are; depth, and corresponding temperatures, organized in six columns, depth, temp for N,S,E,W, and one for the center of the mound. Depth was measured at 10cm distances from the top of the mound, and temperature readings were taking every 10 cm from the center of the mound to the outer edge.

Top North West South East
Depth (cm)
10 27 23.5 29 31 25
20 27 22 29 31 25
30 29 23 30 32 26
40 31 26 31 34 28
50 33 28 32.5 36 30
60 35 29.5 34 38 31
70 37 31 35.5 39 32.5
80 38 32.5 36.5 39.5 34
90 39 34 37.5 40 35
100 39 34.5 38 40 35.5
110 39 34.5 38 40 35.5
120 39 35 37.5 40 35.5

I have tried using scatter3, and I have tried using meshgrid, (inputting the distance for each thermal temperature as the x value) but I am thinking I need help in creating a coordinate system with the variables I have been given. Can I help the student attempting this research with the data he has, create a model of his compost heap without a z value, in Matlab.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to create a 3-D model of a mound showing temperature changes from the center using the data you have been given. Using Matlab you can use the meshgrid and surf functions to create a 3-D surface plot of the mound. The meshgrid function will allow you to create a grid of points with the depth values as the x coordinate and the temperature values as the y and z coordinates. Then the surf function can be used to plot the surface of the mound. You can also use the colormap function to color the surface according to the temperature values.

Dear researcher,

Thank you for sharing your data and your attempts at creating a 3D thermal model in Matlab. It is certainly possible to create a model of your mound using the data you have provided. However, there are a few things to consider when creating a 3D thermal model.

Firstly, in order to create a 3D model, you will need a third dimension, which in this case would represent the depth of the mound. Currently, your data only includes temperature readings at different depths, but not the actual depth values. It would be helpful to have the actual depth values in order to accurately plot the temperature changes in the third dimension.

Secondly, it is important to consider the type of model you are trying to create. Are you looking to create a surface plot or a solid plot? This will determine the type of Matlab function you will need to use.

If you are looking to create a surface plot, where the temperature changes are represented by a color scale on a 2D surface, then you can use the meshgrid function with the depth values as your z-axis and the temperature readings as your color values.

If you are looking to create a solid plot, where the temperature changes are represented by a 3D shape, then you will need to use the scatter3 function. However, in order to use this function, you will need to have the actual depth values as well as the temperature readings. You can then plot the temperature values at each depth point in a 3D coordinate system.

In both cases, having the depth values will be crucial in accurately representing the temperature changes in the third dimension.

I hope this helps guide you in creating your 3D thermal model in Matlab. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

1. How do I create a 3d thermal model in Matlab?

To create a 3d thermal model in Matlab, you will first need to define the geometry of your model and the thermal properties of the materials involved. Then, you can use the built-in functions and tools in Matlab to create a three-dimensional representation of the thermal model.

2. What are the benefits of using Matlab for creating a 3d thermal model?

Matlab offers a wide range of tools and functions that are specifically designed for creating and analyzing thermal models. It also allows for easy integration with other programs and simulations, making it a powerful tool for thermal modeling.

3. Can I import external data into my 3d thermal model in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab allows for the import of external data in various formats, such as CSV or Excel files. This can be useful for incorporating real-world data into your thermal model, such as temperature measurements or material properties.

4. How can I visualize and analyze my 3d thermal model in Matlab?

Matlab offers a variety of visualization tools, such as 3d plots and animations, to help you visualize your thermal model. It also has functions for analyzing the results of your model, such as temperature distribution and heat flux.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a 3d thermal model in Matlab?

While Matlab is a powerful tool for thermal modeling, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for very large or complex thermal models, and it may not have all the specialized features that are available in other thermal modeling software.