How Do I Create a Sodium Acetate Buffer Solution with a Specific pH?

• Thread starter Rapidshift
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, you need to figure out the concentrations of [CH3COOH] and [CH3COONa] in order to calculate the pH of the buffer solution.
Rapidshift
Hello!,

I have encountered a problem relating to buffer solutions. The question states that I am to make a Sodium Acetate buffer solution of 0.25mol l-1, at pH 6.8. The reagents used to make the buffer solution however, is Acetic acid and Sodium Hydroxide. The pKa of Acetic acid is given as 4.75. I need to calculate the amounts (in moles) of acid/salt present in the buffer at the desired pH.

So far, all I got is the balanced reaction:
CH3COOH + NaOH <--> H2O + CH3COONa.

Where do I go from there?

Edit: I am aware of the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation but I do not know how the values fit in save for the pH and pKa. The final concentration is know (sodium acetate) but there are no values for the acid or the base, also, the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is probably more useful for finding the pH of known solution concs.

So, I do not know how to proceed!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
From the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation you should be able to figure out the ratio of [CH3COOH]/[CH3COONa] required for the buffer to be pH 6.8. Since you know that [CH3COONa] + [CH3COOH] = 0.25 mol L-1, you have two equations and two unknowns.

Well using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation,

6.8 = 4.75 + log [CH3COOH]/[CH3COONa];

log [CH3COOH]/[CH3COONa] =2.05

After which, I approach a problem!

log [CH3COOH]/[CH3COONa] =2.05

means that

[CH3COOH]/[CH3COONa] = 102.05

Because of the definition of a logarithm.

But, you've got another problem, you've confused the signs on the HH equation. It should be:

pH = pKa - log [CH3COOH]/[CH3COONa]

or

pH = pKa + log [CH3COONa]/[CH3COOH]

The way to remember this is to check whether the equation makes sense with what you know about buffer systems. If [CH3COOH] is greater than [CH3COONa] then the pH of the buffer will be below the pKa of the acid and vice versa. The original way you had set up the equation, the former statement would not have held.

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. Why is it important to create a buffer solution?

Buffer solutions are important in many biological and chemical processes because they help maintain a stable pH. This is crucial for enzyme activity, cell functioning, and other chemical reactions.

3. How do you determine the appropriate buffer components and concentrations?

The appropriate buffer components and concentrations depend on the desired pH of the solution. This can be determined using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the pKa of the acid and the desired pH.

4. Can any acid-base combination be used to create a buffer solution?

No, only a weak acid and its conjugate base or a weak base and its conjugate acid can be used to create a buffer solution. Strong acids and bases will not work because they completely dissociate in water and do not have a conjugate pair.

5. How do you prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix the appropriate amounts of a weak acid and its conjugate base or a weak base and its conjugate acid. The components should be added in a specific ratio, usually 1:1, to achieve the desired pH. The solution can then be diluted to the desired volume with distilled water.