1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a Buffer

1. Nov 22, 2014 #1
    Hello, I have the following problem:

What volumes of 0.200 M HCOOH and 2.00 M NaOH would make 500.0 mL of a buffer with the pH of one made from 475 mL 0.200 M benzoic acid and 25 mL of 2.00 M NaOH?

I have determined that the pH of the buffer should be 9.23. Now, I am stuck on how I would assemble the buffer. Moreover, I determined that the ratio of the week conjugate base to week acid is 5.31 ( CH3COO / CH3COOH ).

What do I need to do next?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am afraid that's not what I got, What value of pKa for benzoic acid have you used? And how you got 9.23? Please show.

For the pH 9.23 that's orders of magnitude off. For the real pH of the buffer order of magnitude is OK, but the value is wrong. Besides, question asks for HCOOH, not CH3COOH (and the ratio is wrong for both acids).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted