1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a Laser Point Cloud

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    Hey all,

I'm hoping this is in the right section. Basically I'm interested in creating a laser point cloud, but can't think of the best shape to do it. E.G. shining a laser straight down through a median and having the light scattered into a lot more points. I'd than have a receiver to read these points. Kind of like a 3D scanner, I just cannot figure out the best shape or mirror setup to do this; so I thought I'd reach out to people a lot smarter than myself.

Thanks,
    Kevin S. Chambers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2
    Edit:

What is the best way to create multiple laser points to cover a 360 degree area, I'm thing a concaved glass dome.

Thanks,
    Kevin S. Chambers

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm not entirely sure what you're describing, so bear with me.

If you're looking to blanket a volume with laser points, I'm not sure how you'd get one laser to scatter to make multiple points, unless you did it over time. Have you seen laser scanner that are typically used at store checkout counters? They are designed to blanket an area with laser light by pointing it at a rotating drum covered in faceted mirrors. Rotate the drum fast enough and you essentially have what I think you're looking for.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is possible to actually split a laser beam - there are elements called beam splitters that make two beams out of one. They are more expensive than more laser pointers I guess, and rotating mirrors look like a better solution, but I don't understand what you want to build either. What is the purpose of the device?

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5

berkeman

Maybe you are thinking about 3D Laser Scanning? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_scanner

7. Mar 26, 2015 #6
    That is what I'm thinking, I'm just curious what type of mirror setup or prism they use to disperse the light.

8. Mar 26, 2015 #7

berkeman

If you read the wikipedia article and follow some of the info links, you will see some typical ways of doing the scanning. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook