1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a prototype

Tags:
  1. Dec 2, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am in the midst of creating a prototype. It is a true model. May I know what are the formulas and knowledge i require to determining the exact scale of my prototype? My model needs to include a working water pump, as well as able to withstand loading.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Is this a project for school? if so what grade level? What kind of model are you planning to develop?

4. Dec 2, 2014 #3
    Thanks! The level is undergraduate but the product is to be used with real life industry players. It is a water pump. Do I use dimensional analysis?

I am not an engineering student btw.

5. Dec 2, 2014 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Dec 2, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

As a side question, will the fluid flow scale proportionally with the size of the model?

7. Dec 4, 2014 #6
    yeah in the case of a pump prototype you need to be at a scale it does what you intend it to on the full scale model. which might very well mean full scale depending on the fluids.

oh and autodesk has a student software program so students can use a student version of the software as long as they are registered students and keep the output marked as produced by student version.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook