1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a Redox Table

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    I'm working on a chemistry assignment that involves creating redox tables. The explanation in the textbook isn't a very good one and I can't find my answer through google either :mad:

Here's the problem:

The following equations represent spontaneous reactions. From this evidence, set up a table of relative strengths of oxidizing and reducing agents. Write half-reaction equations and label the strongest oxidizing agent and reducing agent.

Co(s) + Pd2+(aq) --->spont. Co2+(aq) + Pd(s)

Pd(s) + Pt2+ (aq) --->spont. Pd2+(aq) + Pt(s)

Mg(s) + Co2+(aq) ---> spont. Mg2+(aq) + Co(s)

I know how to make the half reactions and how to identify the oxidizing agent and reducing agent in each reaction, but I'm confused about what to do after that. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Try to arrange each half reaction into REDUCTION half reactions.
    Look then at your first reaction between Co and Pd. Palladium wants to be reduced more than does Cobalt.

Start making a list putting the items that want to be reduced in decreasing "want to be reduced". For the first equation and its half reactions, you would show:

Pd(+2) + 2 e ---> Pd
    Co(+2) + 2 e ---> Co

Next, write the half reactions for Pd (which you already did) and of Pt. Now, how does Pt compare in relation to the first two reductions that you wrote for Pd and Co?

Continue this process.

One more thing: Did anyone tell you NOT to check in a table of reduction potentials? When you are done, you should compare your results with the positions of the half reactions in the table of reduction potentials.

4. Mar 7, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

As of the above, it's been a long time since I last saw that stuff, so someone may need to check what I said more carefully.

5. Jun 8, 2008 #4
    I am hoping someone can check the explanation above =).. plz and thank you!~

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?