Optimizing Magnet Use for Selective Pulling on Objects: A Scientific Inquiry

• Thread starter Natcox012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary, using an electromagnet to pull down on a metal bracelet but not pull down on a metal rod in a person's arm from a previous surgery would be a safety hazard.
Natcox012
Alright guys working on an experiment try to find out more info on the subject. Please move to the right part of forum if not in the right place. I put this here since I'm dealing with electro magnets. Here is my question is it possible to use and electromagnet to pull down on let's say a metal bracelet but not pull down on the metal rod in your arm from a previous surgery? Can you make the magnet just pull on the bracelet?

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Not all metals are attracted to magnetic fields. For example, aluminum. Choose your materials with that in mind.

Yea. But I'm worried on people with braces, steel plates, and rods in their body.. Is what I'm concerned about. That most rods and pins in the body anymore are titanium but that still leaves the others.

Natcox012 said:
Yea. But I'm worried on people with braces, steel plates, and rods in their body.. Is what I'm concerned about. That most rods and pins in the body anymore are titanium but that still leaves the others.
Many implants now use non-ferrous materials as you say. One of the key reasons it to allow imaging near them using MRI scanners:

http://www.mrisafety.com/SafetyInfoFromList.asp?LSub=44

Can you say more about your application? What magnetic field strengths are you thinking about?

Probably up in the 500lbs range

Natcox012 said:
i

Sounds like a safety hazard. Someone might get hurt and you could be sued.

You need a professional engineer to help,with your design, not strangers on the Internet.

Natcox012 said:
LOL, that's a heavy magnet!

Unless you have access to a superconducting magnet or MRI machine, you don't have the ability to generate 500 pounds of magnetic force. Er, unless you work at a scrap yard and have some very strange application in mind with humans? Ack!

http://recycletucson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1.jpg
1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,618
anorlunda said:
You need a professional engineer to help,with your design
Or a licensed heavy equipment operator...

500 lbs would be an absolute max most human bodies wouldn't hold up to that pressure.. And test kind of same principle as the loader only over a broad space. And each person would be able to select the amount of pressure.. Trying to not give my idea away guys lol..

Natcox012 said:
500 lbs would be an absolute max most human bodies wouldn't hold up to that pressure.. And test kind of same principle as the loader only over a broad space. And each person would be able to select the amount of pressure.. Trying to not give my idea away guys lol..

The quality of the answers you receive depend on the quality and detsil of the question. It is very tiresome for us to guess answers and you reply, "Nope because of another requirement that I concealed from you."

Here's another guess. Distance. Keep the people far away.

Likes berkeman
Basically what's happening is you have a person with wrist, ankle.. Bands that are magnetized to the floor. Magnetism is created through the electromagnet. But I would like to be able to adjust each amount of magnetism to each person.

Natcox012 said:
Basically what's happening is you have a person with wrist, ankle.. Bands that are magnetized to the floor. Magnetism is created through the electromagnet. But I would like to be able to adjust each amount of magnetism to each person.
You are sticking people to the floor? Is this in a prison or something?

No it is not.. Its a good thing I promise lol

Natcox012 said:
No it is not.. Its a good thing I promise lol
Okay, last chance. As @anorlunda has already mentioned, we cannot help you unless we know more about the project. If you cannot tell us enough to be able to help you, this thread will be closed.

Yes the goal it to add weight to each person like adding gravity..

Natcox012 said:
Yes the goal it to add weight to each person like adding gravity..

Like magnetic soled boots, like used to walk around the outside of the space station?

Or do you mean for exercise like weight bands worn on wrist and ankles? If this is the purpose, then magnets are a very poor choice because the force will vary a lot with different distances from the floor. Plain old lead weights are optimum for that purpose.

anorlunda said:
Like magnetic soled boots, like used to walk around the outside of the space station?

Or do you mean for exercise like weight bands worn on wrist and ankles? If this is the purpose, then magnets are a very poor choice because the force will vary a lot with different distances from the floor. Plain old lead weights are optimum for that purpose.
Thank you that was the answer I was looking for.

1. How does a selective magnet work?

A selective magnet works by using a magnetic field to attract only certain materials. This is achieved by altering the strength and direction of the magnetic field, which affects the magnetic force on different objects.

2. What types of materials can be attracted by a selective magnet?

A selective magnet can attract materials that are either ferromagnetic (containing iron, nickel, or cobalt) or paramagnetic (containing aluminum, platinum, or titanium). Diamagnetic materials, such as copper or gold, are not affected by magnetic fields and cannot be attracted by a selective magnet.

3. How do you create a selective magnet?

To create a selective magnet, you need to design a magnet with a specific shape and size, and use materials with varying magnetic properties. By controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic field, you can selectively attract or repel certain materials.

4. What are some real-life applications of selective magnets?

Selective magnets have various applications, such as separating metals in recycling facilities, sorting materials in mining operations, and purifying chemicals in the pharmaceutical industry. They can also be used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to selectively attract certain tissues in the body.

5. Can a selective magnet be used to create a perpetual motion machine?

No, a selective magnet cannot be used to create a perpetual motion machine. While a selective magnet can attract certain materials continuously, it still requires an external source of energy to maintain its magnetic field, and therefore cannot generate infinite energy.