Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a star

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    If someone had a superstrong chamber that could withstand anything (hypothetically) if they constantlty fed the correct materials at the correct state into the chamber could they create a mini self sustaining star?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

All a star, or a main sequence star, at least, is is a ball of hydrogen which fuses it into helium in its core. So if you manage to generate hydrogen fusion in some sort of chamber, yes, that's pretty much what a star is.

The problem is, of course, that the temperature for fusion is ~10 million kelvin, and containing something that hot is a bit of an issue. As soon as fusion ignites, there will also be a ridiculous amount of pressure, coupled with the temperature, which make it difficult to create any kind of self-sustaining laboratory star. But, assuming you have some super strong material, then yes.

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4
    In the strictest sense of the word "star," I think that it must be held together by its own gravity. In a laboratory setting, this would be rather unrealistic; we would need to provide some pressure or some other kind of containment system (like magnetic fields, etc.). Ignoring that, though, we can generate a small amount of fusion, as was already mentioned.

6. Apr 2, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If you have to artificially compress it, and feed it the correct materials, it's not exactly self-sustaining then, is it?

But that aside, isn't this pretty much what a fusion reactor does?

7. Apr 14, 2009 #6
    Thank you all for your help! I feel educated, thank you for the answer to my question.

8. Apr 15, 2009 #7
    A star has a delicate balance between, the explosive force going on in its core that tends to want to blow it up, and the high gravity which wants to push it into a little ball.

The difficulty in creating a star, no matter how brief, is to find the correct balance.

9. Apr 15, 2009 #8
    So creating a star would take extremely large amounts of calculations

10. Apr 15, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well... yes but what it would take mostly is incredibly-advanced engineering.

11. Apr 17, 2009 #10
    If only if only. I yearn for the future haha

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook