1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a system of equations

1. Apr 12, 2004 #1
    I would like to thank-you for taking the time to read the current problem that I am going through. I understand the system of equations concept well however in this particular question they ask for me to produce a system of equations from a certain situation and then solve it myself. Here is the problem:

Pat invested $1200.00 at the beginning of the year. She placed the money in two types of bonds: one paying interest at 4% per annum and the other paying 6% per annum. At the end of the year, Pat's investment had grown to a value of $1255.00. Pat had misplaced some of her records and was wondering how much she had invested in each type of bond. Using a system of equations, determine how much Pat had invested in each type of bond.

I have tried producing the answer to this question in many different ways, including marking the two different bonds as x and y, and then trying to figure out (x)0.04 and (y)0.06 and how they come together to equal $1255. However I can not seem to get the system right in order to answer the overall question. If someone could help me out with calculating the system for this question I would very much appreciate it :). Thank-you once again for all of your time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2
    You seem to be on the right track, perhaps you just missed a small detail along the way. :smile:

One equation should show that the interest Pat got from both bonds should equal the profit she had made that year, which is $55. Therefore:

0.04x + 0.06y = 55

The other equation should show that the sum of x and y should be $1200, because that is how much Pat had invested in total:

x + y = 1200

Now solve for x and y. :smile: I get x = $850 and y = $350.

4. Apr 12, 2004 #3
    That is incorrect, because 4% and 6% is just the profit from the bonds, not the total amount of money they would return. That should be 104% and 106%, so:

1.04x + 1.06y = 1255

5. Apr 13, 2004 #4
    Thank-you very much for your help. I now totally understand the question. I am so bad at those word questions, I really need to do some work in that area. Thank-you so much for your time and help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook