1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating an Electromagnet

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    I'm part of a design group for a university design course and we need to launch a mass using the solenoid idea (iron rod wrapped with wire). The problem that I am having is calculating the force produced by the electromagnet given a certain voltage and current.

I know that F=q(v x B)
    in this equation we are assuming that the field is perpendicular so what we have is just F=qvB
    What I need is an expression that gives the force produced by the electromagnet as a function of variables that I can find, such as voltage, current....

In the above equation, I'm trying to find the force but I do not know what v is and q. q is the charge but how do I measure that? Any help would be beneficial.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    I already tried sources on wikipedia and on hyperphysics. I need to know how to solve for the charge of the electromagnet and the velocity.

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

F=q(v x B) isn't really appropriate for an electronmagnet

For a solenoidm, the force on the core is
    Force = B^2 A / 2 mu_0

where, B = mu_relative * number of turns * current / length

6. Feb 17, 2009 #5
    I forgot to mention that the mass being launched is .02 kilograms. If capacitors were to be used, how would they help? The mass needs to be launched a distance of 6 to 10 meters. Another requirement is that the power supply can not be no more than 24 volts. What we are using is a 18.8 V rechargeable drill battery.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook