Can strong acids and salts be used to create a pH 0.5 buffer?

In summary, the problem was that weak acids don't have useful Ka values, so an enormous ratio of salt to acid would be needed to create a usable buffer.
RCN

Homework Statement

The assignment is to create a pH buffer in lab.
My assignment is pH 0.5.

Homework Equations

[H+] = (Ka)([HA]/[A-])
log [HA] = pKa - pH + log [A-]
The second equation was provided by the instructor, the first is from the textbook.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems to apply easily for most pH values, such as pH 5.0, where weak acids are available with useful Ka values.

Example:
Make 100mL pH 5.0 buffer
Acetic Acid, HAc and Ac- with Ka 1.8 E -5
Say we have .1M HAc and .1M Ac-

[HAc]/[Ac-] = [H+]/Ka
= (10-5.0)/(1.8E-5)
= .556

If x = volume of HAc added,
.556 = (moles HAc)/(moles Ac-)
= ( (.1M)(x) )/( (.1M)(.100-x) )
= 36 mL HAc and 64 mL Ac-

The problem here is:
Weak acids don't have Ka values within a useful range, obviously.
A list of suggestions from the instructor lists STRONG acid HCl and SALT KCl. I have tried extensively to research this online and have found these listed together as buffer components but never with any calculations or explanation of how to use them or how they can work instead of weak acid-conjugate base (or vice-versa) combinations. I realize that techinically they do not completely ionize even though we often treat them like they do, but I also cannot find consistent values for Ka-- every value I find is very different, between 1000 and 10,000,000. For that matter, with these high Ka values, wouldn't it take an enormous ratio of salt to acid to create a usable buffer? I am certainly stumped (and exhausted) and would appreciate whatever help you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read about a buffer capacity. The buffer is a solution that resist pH changes. Check the plot. Do you see how solutions of just a strong acid (or a strong base) are keeping pH constant?

Thanks for the link, the concept makes quite a bit more sense to me now.
Also, I am now in good shape and have been able to solve the problem.

Thanks again!

1. What is a buffer of pH 0.5?

A buffer of pH 0.5 is a solution that resists changes in pH when an acid or base is added. It contains a weak acid and its conjugate base in equal amounts, which allows it to maintain a stable pH level.

2. How is a buffer of pH 0.5 created?

A buffer of pH 0.5 can be created by mixing a weak acid, such as acetic acid, and its conjugate base, sodium acetate, in a 1:1 ratio. This results in a solution with a pH of approximately 0.5.

3. What is the purpose of creating a buffer of pH 0.5?

Creating a buffer of pH 0.5 is useful in experiments that require a specific and stable pH level. It can also be used in industrial processes to control the acidity of a solution.

4. How do you adjust the pH of a buffer of pH 0.5?

The pH of a buffer of pH 0.5 can be adjusted by adding small amounts of a strong acid or base. However, this should be done carefully as adding too much can disrupt the buffer's ability to maintain a stable pH.

5. How long does a buffer of pH 0.5 remain effective?

A buffer of pH 0.5 can remain effective for a long period of time, as long as the ratio of weak acid to conjugate base remains constant. However, over time the buffer may become less effective and may need to be replaced.