What are the best wing designs for maximum efficiency in RC planes?

• Thread starter djeitnstine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Rc
In summary, a group of individuals at Embry-Riddle are in a club called SAE Aero and are designing an RC plane for a competition. They are currently in the design stage and are considering adding wingtips to their design for lift and stability. There is a discussion on the effectiveness of winglets and dihedral angles in increasing lift and stability. Some suggestions include using a high wing instead of a low wing, using a high lift airfoil, and considering the area of propwash. The group has decided to go with a high wing and either an up swept or down swept wingtip design. They are also looking at current sailplane and wing designs for inspiration and efficiency. One member suggests using a curved wingtip for simplicity and
djeitnstine
Gold Member
Hey all I'm at Embry-Riddle now. I'm in a club called SAE Aero. We are desiging an RC plane that should be as light as possible and lift as much weight as possible - the aim 55 lbs. We have to build it from scratch. However right now we are in the design stage. I was wondering if there was anyone with experience with wings around.

We are thinking of adding wingtips on our design and I wanted to have a rough idea of what type(s) we should be looking at. Or even the pros/cons of each type we can use.

Links, sources -anything would be great..thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I should hope you have wing tips. Most wings don't work very well without them. Or were you thinking winglets?

They're not going to help you in the realm of heavy lift. They are a means to more fuel efficient flights. For max lift and stability, you'll probably end up with something along the lines of a flat bottom wing with a decent dihedral. I just can't see what winglets will really do for you in this case.

Well our last design (which i wasn't a part of) didn't have any wing tips =| we came second, and lifted up to 38 lbs. But thanks for the input. As for the winglets. we came to the conclusion it wasn't feasible for our speeds.

Also, do dihedrals really increase lift? I'm only asking cus all of my research only showed it increases stability...or does increased stability help with lift? (I'm sure it does...just need confirmation =( )

Dihedral will give you stability. That's about it. The nice thing is that it will make the airplane more forgiving which can be half the battle in these competitions. What good is a design that can lift a hundred pounds if it's a bugger to fly and stands a greater chance of crashing? Like anything, it's a balancing act. I can't say I have ever seen any reports on the effect of dihedral on drag or lift. You'd have to do the leg work there. My gut feeling is that you'll pay a price in form drag. That's just a hunch.

A dihedral (or mulithedral, depending how you want to do it... many model gliders have trihedrals) will only increase stability and reduce lift in a straight and level flight. The dihedral increases your stability because of the lift generated by the wing. The dihedral wing will generate a large lift component in the vertical and a small lift component in the horizontal direction (depending on the dihedral angle). Here is an example to give you an idea of how it works: A dihedral wing is producing equal lift on the port and the starboard wing in straight and level flight. If the starboard wing dips, it's vertical lift component will begin to increase and it's horizontal lift component will begin to decrease until the wing is parallel to the flow (trigonometry and the lift force components on your wing) and at the same time the vertical lift component on the port wing will decrease. This makes the starboard wing rise and the port wing dip until it reaches it's equilibrium position (hopefully, level and straight)

Winglets will help to reduce drag produced by wing tip vortices, but I think you're right that at RC speeds, this probably isn't a very big issue.

The drag on a dihedral shouldn't really increase, but could increase slightly due to the connection that the wing will have with the fuselage.

A trihedral will give you a big horizontal centre part of the wing for max lift and a small part at each end that is angled slightly upwards for stability. You'll have to do the maths for the optimal setting for your design requirements.

attached are some line drawings of dihedrals and trihedrals and the force vectors.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• dihedral.JPG
    dihedral.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 892
Thank you both!

We meet next wednesday so I will post what ideas/solutions come out of that.

I disagree a bit with the low-wing, dihedral suggestion -- using a high wing instead will give you that added stability without the expense of loss of lift.

A high wing would be less maneuverable, but may better serve your purpose based on the nature of your competition or goals.

A few other things to consider: use a high lift airfoil such as a NACA 6 series (keeping in mind that higher lift airfoils produce either higher drag or a larger pitching moment -- if the former, you would need a more powerful propulsion system, and for the latter a larger or longer tail).

Winglets are useful if your design is limited in wingspan, but not much else.
Also, consider the area of your propwash -- a larger area of propwash would make a higher portion of your wing ineffective due to turbulence (sometimes a smaller prop with higher rpm is better than a large prop with low rpm)

Hey all what came out of last week Wednesday's meeting is that we are going with a high wing and either an up swept or down swept wingtips. I found an experiment involving different types of wingtips at about the speeds we will be flying at. It is here http://ojas.ucok.edu/96/T96/Jdavis.htm [Broken]

Tell me what you think. I think we should go for the up swept design (#2 in the lift ranking) for simplicity and our skill in design restriction. Building a curved one is a little too complicated for us at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly suggest you look at current sailplane and wing designs. Some sailplanes have become extremely aerodynamically efficient and the current solar powered aircraft record is held with a sailplane platform.

I used to have a 48" wing that could get almost 30 minute flights with a 11.1v 1.9mah battery. Wings have the capability of being extremely efficient as well but require a lot of design work to reach those high efficiencies.

What materials are best for building an efficient RC plane?

The materials used for building an RC plane depend on the design and purpose of the plane. Generally, lightweight and strong materials such as balsa wood, carbon fiber, and foam are preferred. These materials help reduce the weight of the plane and improve its aerodynamics, leading to better efficiency.

How can I improve the aerodynamics of my RC plane for better efficiency?

There are several ways to improve the aerodynamics of an RC plane. One way is to reduce the weight of the plane by using lightweight materials. Another way is to streamline the shape of the plane by reducing drag-inducing features such as protruding parts or sharp edges. Adding winglets or using a symmetrical airfoil can also improve the plane's aerodynamics.

What type of motor is best for an efficient RC plane?

The type of motor used in an RC plane depends on its size and weight. Generally, brushless motors are preferred for their efficiency and power. The size and KV rating of the motor should be chosen according to the size and weight of the plane to ensure optimal performance.

How can I improve the battery life of my RC plane?

To improve the battery life of an RC plane, it is important to choose the right battery size and type. Lithium polymer (LiPo) batteries are commonly used in RC planes due to their high energy density and lightweight. It is also important to properly charge and store the batteries to prolong their lifespan. Avoid over-discharging the batteries and always use a LiPo-safe charger.

Are there any design considerations for creating an efficient RC plane?

Yes, there are several design considerations for creating an efficient RC plane. The size and shape of the wings, the placement of the motor and propeller, the center of gravity, and the overall weight of the plane all play a crucial role in its efficiency. It is important to carefully design and balance these elements to achieve the best performance and efficiency from the RC plane.